function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
uptime_andrewuptime_andrew 

Case Object - Contact Id and Account Id

Could you confirm the following - should resetting the Contact on a Case, which is under a different Account than the previous Contact, auto-change the Case's Account?

For example, Case currently has Account set to "ACME", with Contact "John Smith" (who is under ACME). If I change the Contact to "Jane Doe" (who is attached to Account "XYZ"), should the Case Account field change to "XYZ" automatically? Or should that be a manual change?

Currently, we have some confusion internally as to whether that should be happening. Could you confirm the expected functionality?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

Case Account field will not be changed automatically. Case Account Name and Contact Name are independent lookups and editing one does not effect the other. To achieve the desired functionality you need to create a validation rule where validation critera should be Contact.AccountId <> AccountId. This will solve your purpose.

Did this answer your question? if so, please mark it solved.

All Answers

Pradeep_NavatarPradeep_Navatar

Case Account field will not be changed automatically. Case Account Name and Contact Name are independent lookups and editing one does not effect the other. To achieve the desired functionality you need to create a validation rule where validation critera should be Contact.AccountId <> AccountId. This will solve your purpose.

Did this answer your question? if so, please mark it solved.

This was selected as the best answer
uptime_andrewuptime_andrew

Thanks Pradeep!

nwingnwing

I differ on this. 

For myself (Salesforce Administrator) I can create a case under an account, put in a contact that is not associated with said account, and everything is fine.

However, when another user does it, it changes the account (or eliminates it entirely relative to the associated account fo that contact.

So, how do we turn that off?  It is causing confusion here as well..... frustration rather.....

AdamRaceAdamRace

nwing, did you ever come up with a solution for this? I'm having the exact same problem.

I've created a PHP front end that allows the team to edit and update cases. I (as an Administrator) can change an assigned Contact to a different Contact on another Account and it will update the AccountId. If however, any other users who aren't administrators try, it doesn't update the AccountId.

Is there a way of overriding the ability to update the AccountId? If not, is there any other solution?

Cheers