function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
PHRock81PHRock81 

Getting Started - Requirements Document Template

Hello Community,

I am very excited to build my first app (for a non-profit called CitizenPoints.org) and I've been going through all of the workbooks and training manuals that I can get my hands on.  One thing that I'd like to do is leverage some of the logical groupings of activities in the Force.  For example, I'd like to list all of my objects, classes, triggers, etc. in an organized document of my requirements.  This will help me go through the creation of my application in a very methodical way.

So the question:

Does anyone know where I can find a "requirements template" type of document for developing in the Force?  I'm looking for it to help me think through the different components in a logical way and WRITE THEM DOWN for how I want my specific app to work.

Thanks everyone! 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
iCloudiusiCloudius

I don't know of any standard document that exists for this purpose.  When working as an SFDC consultant, I usually had to modify an Excel workbook for this pupose.  I'd have tabs for the individual SObjects that needed to be modified (Account, Contacts, Opps, Leads, etc) as well as new custom objects to develop.  Each would have columns/sections related to new fields, validation rules, triggers, workflows, etc.  The size of the document and number of tabs was in direct proportion to the scope of the project.

Depending on the size and scope of your project, you may also want to use MS Project or a similar program to track all the moving pieces, especially if you'll be working with others to handle different portions of the project.

Good luck!

All Answers

iCloudiusiCloudius

I don't know of any standard document that exists for this purpose.  When working as an SFDC consultant, I usually had to modify an Excel workbook for this pupose.  I'd have tabs for the individual SObjects that needed to be modified (Account, Contacts, Opps, Leads, etc) as well as new custom objects to develop.  Each would have columns/sections related to new fields, validation rules, triggers, workflows, etc.  The size of the document and number of tabs was in direct proportion to the scope of the project.

Depending on the size and scope of your project, you may also want to use MS Project or a similar program to track all the moving pieces, especially if you'll be working with others to handle different portions of the project.

Good luck!

This was selected as the best answer
PHRock81PHRock81
Thanks iCloudius.... I'm leaning on going down that route with some good spreadsheet action...  Just thought I'd check.  Have a good weekend.