function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
symphonicsymphonic 

API in PE

We are developing a complementary app for Salesforce.  It relies on the API, and as such will only work with EE and higher.

But, we've heard two bits of information that we can't get confirmed:

1.  PE users can get the API enabled (likely for a fee).  I'm talking about regular SFDC subscribers, not partners, here.

2.  Alternately, application developers like us can request an API Token, which will enable the application to work with PE.  We've received the token, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Can anyone offers us some information and/or clarification?

Thanks,

Steve Harding
Symphonic Source

SuperfellSuperfell

1. Correct, users with PE can buy an API add-on.

2. Correct, certified partner apps can get a token that allows their app to work with PE (the token works with the soap apis, it can also be done via your oauth client-id if you're using oauth). For the soap token check that you got the namespace & element names correct on the soap header.

symphonicsymphonic

Thanks, Simon. 

Regarding #1, how do PE users request the API and what's the charge?  I reached out to our Salesforce sales rep, who then directed me to the ISV program.  They told me the API actually cannot be added on to a regular PE org and that users need to upgrade to EE.

Just trying to get the real story here.

Regarding #2, this would be our preferred method of accomodating PE, but so far we haven't been able to make it work.  I'll forward your notes onto our development team.

Appreciate your help.

Steve

SFGSFG
Simon, are you sure about #1? I've talked to two different people at SF and they seem to be giving me conflicting information. One says yes, the other says not possible.
SuperfellSuperfell

It certainly used to be available i don't know if that's changed, so i can't say for sure.

m_a_sridharm_a_sridhar

We have an app available from AppExchange that uses the Apex API, and we have users from all editions (group, pro and enterprise). We were assigned an API token, and this enables our app to function within all editions.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help further.

Sridhar

Apsona.com

symphonicsymphonic

I was finally able to get some useful information.  Thank goodness for some creative Googling.

This blog explains the issue in several parts:  http://www.salesforcegeneral.com/salesforce-articles/api-and-api-token-part-3.html

In a nutshell, the API is not available to PE subscribers, and the API Token will not work in the manner we were hoping it would work. 

Alas.