function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
beenerbeener 

Time based Workflow Rules

Hi

I have a workflow rule that has never worked. any ideas please? thanks.

In my Org we are required to track the validity of multiple certifications per contact. I have instated a time based workflow rule that notifies by email 30 days before it expires.

I have set the following parameters

• Evaluation Criteria: Evalutaion When a record is created, or when a record is edited and did not previously meet the rule criteria 
  • Rule Criteria: ExpiryDate not equal to [blank]
  • Time Dependent Workflow action: 31 days before expiry date: Send Email, create task.

Thanking you

Ben 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
werewolfwerewolf
There is a way to test time based workflow.  Trigger the workflow, then go to Setup|Monitoring|Time Based Workflow and see that the action has been queued (you can also see what time it's queued for).  If anything happens between when you triggered the action and when it's actually supposed to happen that violates the workflow criteria then the action(s) will be unqueued.

All Answers

werewolfwerewolf
Did you press the Activate button on the workflow rule?
jmm73jmm73
We have a similar workflow rule that isn't working.  I think it is because the records are already created and haven't been edited and the evaluation criteria requires some sort of editing on the record before the workflow rule triggers.  Have you figured out a solution to your problem?
beener3beener3

My feeling is that you are correct. My feeling is that the rule works only sometimes. I say "feeling" because I am not aware of a method of testing this in a rigorous fashion..

In the mean times we are using reports, etc. to alert us to things that we would have liked worflow to do instead..

I wish there was a way of testing workflow rules..

If you are bothered by this, please vote for my idea

Ben  

Message Edited by beener3 on 03-23-2010 02:21 AM
werewolfwerewolf
There is a way to test time based workflow.  Trigger the workflow, then go to Setup|Monitoring|Time Based Workflow and see that the action has been queued (you can also see what time it's queued for).  If anything happens between when you triggered the action and when it's actually supposed to happen that violates the workflow criteria then the action(s) will be unqueued.
This was selected as the best answer
jmm73jmm73

Ben, I tried to vote for your idea, but the link takes me a listing of all ideas.  How can I find your idea without scrolling through all of them?

beener3beener3

Here is the url for Testing Time based workflow ideas

Thanks

https://sites.secure.force.com/ideaexchange/ideaView?c=09a30000000D9xt&id=0873000000080eUAAQ 

beener3beener3

Hi Wolf, Could you please explain what you mean by "trigger the workflow"? is that a button, or should I wait until the event naturally "happens"?

Thanks.  

werewolfwerewolf
By "trigger the workflow" I mean "put your object in a state where it meets the workflow criteria."  You do not then have to wait for the action to actually occur -- at the very instant when you make an object that meets the workflow criteria, time based actions will appear on the queue which you can use the above-mentioned monitor page to look at.  If your actions are on that queue then your workflow is working (and the action will occur).  If your actions are not on that queue then there is something wrong with your workflow.
thebaronthebaron

My first question when debugging any workflow:

Is it meant to be triggered by a workflow?  That is, is expiration date set by another workflow?

Also, I note that, should the expiration date change, the rule will not reevaluate and change the task accordingly.  Maybe this is not a problem.  Maybe you've solved it already.

Amigo ChenAmigo Chen

Dear thebaron,

> Is it meant to be triggered by a workflow?  That is, is expiration date set by another workflow?

> Also, I note that, should the expiration date change, the rule will not reevaluate and change the task accordingly.  Maybe this is not > a problem.  Maybe you've solved it already.

I have exactly the same problem. Here is my configuration:

Rule: If today > end date, set the status to expired.

Result: It doesn't update the status on either new nor old records.

I am still working on this. More detail will be available to share here this week.

Best regards,

Amigo