function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RstrunkRstrunk 

web services

Anyone know of any good books or resources that I can use to learn a lot about web services in general?  I have a degree in Computer Programming, and a degree in Computer Networking technologies, however, I was never introduced to web services and it seems like that is the blunt of what I will be doing in my current position.  

I have looked at the W3 Schools tutorials, but I would like a more comprehensive book/resource and all I have been able to find are mostly dated back in early 2000.  The latest book I found was published 6 years ago.  

The goal I would like to achieve is to create custom integrations from salesforce to external web services.

I have looked at the force.com integration pages, but to be honest a lot of the jargon and references are outside of my grasp.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks, 

Satish_SFDCSatish_SFDC
Although the concept of webservices is the same across all languages, you could let us know which language you would like to use to integrate with salesforce.

This would help learn webservices with your own favorite language.

Regards,
Satish Kumar
RstrunkRstrunk

Thanks for your response!  Ideally I would be creating integrated SFDC apps using APEX.  I just do not know much about web services in general.  I would like to have the knowledge to reach out to a webservice and receive return data from that service.  

Basically,  if my boss hands me a WSDL I would want to know what to do with it.   

Satish_SFDCSatish_SFDC
So if you get a wsdl file, you should convert that file into the corresponding classes.
In case of .NET you use the inbuilt tools to extract the class out of the wsdl file and then use the methods in the class to do the CRUD operations on Salesforce. The framework internally handles all the communications.
In case of Java you use the wsimport tool

More information in these links:
http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api/index_Left.htm#StartTopic=Content/sforce_api_quickstart_steps.htm

Regards,
Satish Kumar
Please mark my answer as a solution if it was helpful so it is available to others as a proper solution.
If you felt I went above and beyond, please give me Kudos by clicking on the star icon.