function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
pluviosillapluviosilla 

Uploading Entirely New Schemas Via Dataloader????

Newbee Question: I have some legacy Excel files with very large numbers of columns. It would be VERY TIME CONSUMING to use the Setup menu to create the schemas for the objects I want to populate with data, so I was hoping I could use either Dataloader or the Import wizard to import an object that is completely new (i.e. that does not already have a schema definition in Salesforce).

When I run Dataloader:

(1) Object rerquired: It insists that I specify an existing object, but

(2) Undefined fields: it appears, at first, to accept a CSV file with new columns (for which there are no predefined fields)

The import runs smoothly without errors, but I see nothing in the database.

Please tell me if what I am attempting is even possible. If not, is there a 3rd party application that does this?

Thanks,

John (pluviosilla@gmail.com)

pluviosillapluviosilla

ALSO, is there a way to do this by manually modifying META DATA files in an Eclipse project

If so, I'd love to hear about that. Are there articles with examples? Videos?   :-)

SAPOCSAPOC

You are trying to create new object  in salesforce using Dataloader which is not possible.

You need to first create object and then its fields in Salesforce -- the error indicates that object is required and fields are undefined.

Once you have Object and its fields in Salesforce,you can add records to this object through Import imzard or Data loader.

using Eclipse IDE you can edit metadata and also create objects and fields and deploy into salesforce .

http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/An_Introduction_to_Force_IDE

Cory CowgillCory Cowgill

Take a look at Cloud Converter on the App Exchange.

It has the ability to ingest a Spreadsheet, and it will automatically create the Object Definition in Salesforce via Metadata API, and then it will load your data into the newly defined objects from the Spreadsheet.

SFDC_LearnerSFDC_Learner

To copy only schema, We have some Integration tools like Jitterbit, CopyForce and SqlForce.

Just see about once. You may get the solution