function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
vijaynvijayn 

Building multiple managed Apps...

Hi,

We're an ISV working on multiple applications that we want to distribute independently. Is there a way to have multiple packages within the same DE? As far as I can tell, it looks like we can only build 1 managed package within a single DE, meaning I've to have two DEs to achieve the above. Is that correct?

As a secondary question, we are debating(internally) whether we should split one application into two packages (one being an 'extension' of the other). Do we have to have two DEs for that as well? Ie one for the base package and one for the extension?

Note that we want to use License management for both apps(packages).

-cheers,

Vijay

thanks,

Vijay

aalbertaalbert

Yes, your findings are correct. Currently there can be only 1 Managed Package per DE org. So yes, you will need 2 DE orgs (one for each Package). But you can have 1 org to do the License Management for both Packages/Applications.

shillyershillyer

Extension packages are great if your app plans to support multiple editions. For instance, your base package could work for PE, but your extension could contains features that are available for EE and UE. This gives you the ability to services more customers.

Hope that helps,

Sati

vijaynvijayn

But do I have to build the base in one DE and the extension in another? Looks like I have to.

vijay

shillyershillyer

Yes, the extension will be a new package in a new org (where the base was installed).

Best,

Sati