function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
seahorcesolnsseahorcesolns 

Visualforce Email Tracking

Recently changed an email from HTML to Visualforce, but need to track open rates for that email. I know HTMl emails come with tracking code embedded.

Is there a way to track open rates for Visualforce email templates within Salesforce?

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

Tracking is automatically enabled when possible when "Enable Email Tracking" is enabled, even for Visualforce Emails.

The following conditions will affect trackability:

• Template must have HTML content (e.g. not text only).
  • Email must be loggable (e.g. must be related to a contact or lead).
  • Recipient's email firewalls must not have stripped the "invisible image" that the tracking system uses.
  • Recipient's email client must not have "disabled" images for security purposes.
  • Recipient's computer must be connected to the Internet when the email is viewed.

It's an unreliable technology, but given the limitations of the email protocol, it's the best one that salesforce.com (or really, any email tracking service) has available, besides "read receipts", which are voluntary and produce a dialog confirming the receipt request.

seahorcesolnsseahorcesolns
Thanks for responding, sfdcfox. I have a more specific scenario that you might be able to validate for me. I'm using APEX to fire a workflow that then sends an email alert. That email alert uses a VF email template. We have email tracking enabled, but since this process is all happening via a workflow, it doesn't log an activity. Would that prevent the email from being tracked? Thanks for your help!
sfdcfoxsfdcfox

That's exactly the problem. Workflow Alerts don't log tasks, and so the HTML Status can't be collected. A task is required for HTML Email Tracking, so only emails that were sent as a mass email in the UI, as a single email message from a contact or lead's activity history related list, or programmatically sent using Apex Code and using the appropriate TargetId values will have tracking.

Alex Waxman 7Alex Waxman 7
Hi there, 

We use FinancialForce, and with a button, we send our customers copies of their sales invoices. The email template is a VisualForce template. We are interested in some way being able to track and see which accounts have opened these emails. I haven't found much so I am posting this question in various places. 

Basically it comes down to tracking email opens (much like you can with HTML emails) from a VisualForce template. 

Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Regards,