function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
CharlotteKACharlotteKA 

Should site be built on Developer Org or Actual Org

Most of the documentation I've seen has us building our sites on the Developer Org. But it looks like Sites has been enabled on our company org. Can I build the site on our org or are we supposed to be doing this in the developer org?
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
BulentBulent
answers are below 
is this true:

1. Each org must have a unique Force.com domain name prefix for Sites - unlike objects whose names are invariant between PROD and Sandbox, Sites domains are unique and independently configured between Sandbox and PROD orgs.
>> correct
  1. If I refresh Sandbox from PROD - what happens to the domain prefix I set up in Step 1? Does it get preserved (that is, stays as SandboxElectricCars) or does it get smashed from PROD (that is, suddenly becomes ElectricCars?)  I'm guessing the former.
>> correct. domain name won't change 

And lastly, when deploying from Sandbox to PROD (i.e. my VF pages, APEX controllers, static resources), is any other configuration copied from Sandbox to PROD (like LoginIP Ranges, under maintenance/development pages, etc) and if not, then I presume I reconfigure in PROD.

>> except the public access etting all can be copied. sites supports metadata api

All Answers

BulentBulent

I would recommend to use your sandbox orgs to build your sites first. Once you synch your sandbox orgs with your production orgs you will have the same sites license in your sandbox org where you can crate your site and start your development.

Kep in mind the custom domain mapping feature is not enabled in sandbox orgs but will work in our production org, and the daily limits are lower in sandbox orgs compare to your production orgs. For caching and daily limits please check the best practices article linked on the pilot wiki site. 

CharlotteKACharlotteKA
We only have the free sandbox that doesn't have any data in it. Will that still work ok?
BulentBulent
Developer only sandbox? You would still have higher limits compare to a developer edition org.
studebakerstudebaker

One additional clarification please:

If I build my Sites in Sandbox org and deploy to Production org then must each org have a different Force.com domain name prefix?

Example: Suppose my company name for Sites Pilot is 'ElectricCars'. 

1. I login to my Sandbox and Develop | Sites which prompts for the Force.com domain name prefix. I set this to: SandboxElectricCars
  2. This means the URL to test the Sites pages will be: http://SandboxElectricCars.sandbox.cs3.force.com/sitename
  3. I test my Sites using the data in the Sandbox org
  4. I login to my PROD org and also do Develop | Sites which prompts for another Force.com domain name prefix.  I set this to ElectricCars
  5. This means the production Sites is accessed via http://ElectricCars.force.com/sitename
Put another way - is this true:

1. Each org must have a unique Force.com domain name prefix for Sites - unlike objects whose names are invariant between PROD and Sandbox, Sites domains are unique and independently configured between Sandbox and PROD orgs.
  2. If I refresh Sandbox from PROD - what happens to the domain prefix I set up in Step 1? Does it get preserved (that is, stays as SandboxElectricCars) or does it get smashed from PROD (that is, suddenly becomes ElectricCars?)  I'm guessing the former.
And lastly, when deploying from Sandbox to PROD (i.e. my VF pages, APEX controllers, static resources), is any other configuration copied from Sandbox to PROD (like LoginIP Ranges, under maintenance/development pages, etc) and if not, then I presume I reconfigure in PROD.

Thanks

Eric  

BulentBulent
answers are below 
is this true:

>> correct
  1. If I refresh Sandbox from PROD - what happens to the domain prefix I set up in Step 1? Does it get preserved (that is, stays as SandboxElectricCars) or does it get smashed from PROD (that is, suddenly becomes ElectricCars?)  I'm guessing the former.
>> correct. domain name won't change 

>> except the public access etting all can be copied. sites supports metadata api

This was selected as the best answer