function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AndreaTAndreaT 

Google webmaster tools

Hello,

I'm experiencing some problem while trying to verify a force.com site in a Google webmaster tools account.

Google can not verify the meta tag and I assume there's no way to get the website verified via the uploaded html file, that should have an url like www.domain.com/verifile.html.

I get this sort of meta tag-related problem only with Google. Yahoo! and other tools are fines and they have the same process.

Any idea? Thanks 

Message Edited by AndreaT on 17-09-2009 03:21 PM
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
BulentBulent

I am able to validate with the composition as well

here is my page source

<apex:page cache="true" expires="60" sidebar="false" showHeader="false" controller="donationCon" >

<apex:composition template="GoogleAnalyticsTemplate">

<apex:define name="body">

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

<meta name="verify-v1" content="CJ6p979FrJhQy7nmqAQcREeMsd5RoopjLZCaDz9/ACA=" >

<link REL="SHORTCUT ICON" href="{!URLFOR($Resource.favicon)}">

<title>Worthy Causes</title>

All Answers

BulentBulent
did you allow google via your site robots.txt file?
AndreaTAndreaT

I've been using the following code in the robots.txt:

Sitemap: http://www.domain.com/sitemap

User-agent: *  

Disallow: 

BulentBulent
Your robots.txt is good. can you share more information on what are you doing and what error you are getting?
AndreaTAndreaT

Certainly.

It's a public website. No IP restrictions or whatever. Currently, it's like an ordinary website made of static html files.

I've set up the cname, so you can get the website via both the http//name.force.com/sitea url and the ww.domain.com url.

They work, no problem.

I've been building up the pages by defining a template with <apex:composition>.

Well, tried to use some of the ordinary webmaster tools.

I submitted the url in the Yahoo account!.

In this case, you've to put a meta tag like <META content="contentx" name="xyz"> to verify the website. Done, no problem.

Trying to perform the very same action within the Google Webmaster Tools account, I put the meta tag provided by Google, checked again and again but it doesn't work. Google says that it cannot find the meta tag. But there's. The other way to get a site verified is through the uploading of a .html file, so that the url would be www.domain.com/googlefile.html, but I don't see how can I do that.

I tried to verify the website both with the force.com url and with www.domain.com - in order to exclude any issue with cname management - but they're both non verified.

Quite strange that the website got verified by Google Analytics immediately, although the process is different, since it's a .<script type="text/javascript"> to put before the </body> tag.

Message Edited by AndreaT on 17-09-2009 11:34 PM
BulentBulent

I just tested and I was able to get my demo site verified by google webmaster tools

here is the home page code I have

<apex:page showheader="false" cache="false">

<html>

<head>

<title> My title </title>

</head>

<body>

page contents

</body>

</html>

</apex:page>

Message Edited by Bulent on 09-17-2009 06:17 PM
AndreaTAndreaT

In the meantime, I tried to verify other 2 sites (well forthcoming sites, but good for testing at this time) with a very very similar template and the very same settings. Their active home pages are a test single page, no composition, no components.

Indeed, I've built some page templates, then I turned one into a skeleton for this site and set up other pages using the composition tag, based on the instructions found at Chapter 12 of the Visualforce Developer's Guide for templating, and custom components.

So, I tested the 3 sites this way:

a) site A, single page (no composition, no custom components) as an active home page, google meta tag: verified by google

b) site B, single page (no composition, no custom components) as an active home page, google meta tag: verified by google

c) site C, page based on the <apex:composition template="TemplateXYX"> as an active home page, google meta tag: not verified by google 

I'm going to test this problem more accurately later to verify if I worked around that by by chance and the problem is laying elsewhere, but I think there's something related to that, to the composition or the combination of composition and custom components.

Message Edited by AndreaT on 18-09-2009 11:24 AM
Message Edited by AndreaT on 18-09-2009 11:25 AM
BulentBulent

I am able to validate with the composition as well

here is my page source

<apex:page cache="true" expires="60" sidebar="false" showHeader="false" controller="donationCon" >

<apex:composition template="GoogleAnalyticsTemplate">

<apex:define name="body">

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

<link REL="SHORTCUT ICON" href="{!URLFOR($Resource.favicon)}">

<title>Worthy Causes</title>

This was selected as the best answer