function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
michaellee.ampfmichaellee.ampf 

Authenticated Website Advice?

I'm struggling a little to find the necessary documentation to get started using the Authenticated Website profile & user licenses type.  How do I create new users?  Is the only way to do that is to create the user using Apex?  We don't need (or want) self-registeration in our use case -- we really want the bare minimum "user get username and password & is able to login..."

Ideally this is probably just a simple recipe and I'd be ready to go -- but I'm struggling figuring that out, even though I think it should be easy over all.

Michael

ShamilShamil

I've looked at that, but I'm still confused with all of the discussion of customer & partner portal logins, since we aren't using those.

Do we have to use that register page? Is there any other way to create new users?

Thanks,

Michael

And it was that confusion that got me -- I was expecting to use Partner Portal for the licensing to get that profile type, not Customer Portal -- so now I've been able to jump through and accomplish my (very basic) goal around portal logins.  That document is really useful.

Following up on this -- I'm trying to create an authenticated web-to-lead form here.  I figured that I could combine the basics of authenticated login with this article:

http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Web2Lead_with_Force.com_Sites

However, while the page looks like it's working fine unauthenticated, as soon as I try to authenticate it says that I have insufficient privledges.  Is this something where I'm going to get in trouble because of the limited rights of the unauthenticated user and I'll have to do something different to create the lead with the information that I need?

Ryan-GuestRyan-Guest

Is the visualforce page that you create enabled for the portal user's profile?

Ryan-GuestRyan-Guest

Also check that CURD and FLS (field level security) for the Lead object is enabled for the portal user's profile as well.

JWT_FusionRMJWT_FusionRM

Custom Objects do not appear in the portal user's Profile page under the Custom Object Permissions section unless the "Available for Customer Portal" checkbox is checked for the Custom Object (edit the Custom Object Definition to make this change).

After I make this change, my Custom Object appears in the Field-Level Security on the Profile page and I am able to successfully change the "Visible" settings by pressing the "View" link next to my Custom Object in the Custom Field-Level Security listing.

Also after making the change, I can now see my Custom Object in the Custom Object Permissions section of the Profile page, but when I try to edit the Profile, the Read/Edit/Create/Delete Basic Access checkboxes are grayed out for my Custom Object in the Custom Object Permissions section, so I cannot make the security setting changes. When I read the "Help for this page" documentation on the Profile Edit page, it says that you can only change the Custom Object Permissions for a Profile that is a Custom Profile. So I cloned the Authenticated Website User profile and made a Custom version (that I called "Authenticated Website Custom") - now I CAN edit the Custom Object Permissions on this new custom profile.

Of course, the Customer Portal must be set up to utilize this new custom profile. So I went to Setup / App Setup / Customize / Customer Portal / Settings and clicked on the link for my Customer Portal. On the Customer Portal page I went down to the Assigned Profiles section and clicked the "Edit Profiles" button to bring up the "Customer Portal Assign to Profiles" page in which I checked the Active checkbox in the row for my new Authenticated Website Custom profile. Next I configured the Customer Portal so that all newly registered Users will utilize the new Authenticated Website Custom profile - on the same Customer Portal Settings page mentioned above, I pressed the "Edit" button and changed the Self-Registration Settings - Default New User Profile drop-down menu value to be my new Authenticated Website Custom profile.  And last but not least, I had to change all of my existing Portal Users to utilize the new Authenticated Website Custom profile, by going to Setup / Manage Users / Users, and for each of my Portal Users in the list I clicked the Edit link to bring up the User Edit page on which I changed the Profile picklist value from "Authenticated Website" to "Authenticated Website Custom".

In summary, here are the steps I had to execute in order to have my Custom Objects visible to authenticated Portal Users on my Force.com Site:

1. For each Custom Object (that I wanted to expose on the Force.com Site), edited the object and check the "Available for Customer Portal" setting.
  2. Cloned the standard Authenticated Website profile to create a new custom profile because you can only edit the Basic Access (Read/Create/Edit/Delete) Custom Object Permissions on a custom profile (and of course I had to set the Custom Object Permissions to provide access to my Custom Object).
  3. Configured the Customer Portal's Assigned Profiles to include the newly created custom profile.
  4. Configured the Customer Portal's Default New User Profile (under Self-Registration Settings) to be the newly created custom profile.
  5. For each existing Force.com Sites User, edited the User to utilize the newly created custom profile.

It took me quite a while to figure all of this out by going through multiple Force.com Sites and Salesforce Customer Portal documents (and quite a bit of trial and error) - I hope the above summary will save you some of the frustration I experienced!

This strikes me as something odd about using the Standard Lead object -- I couldn't find any place where I could make the Lead object visible to an authenticated user profile.

It seems super odd to me, however, that the same page that works in an unauthenticated format wouldn't be able to work once we have authentication in place.

Abhay AroraAbhay Arora

Hi Shamil,

I am also looking for workaround for login is there any other way to get it without customer portal?

ForceCoderForceCoder

https://login.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/users_understanding_license_types.htm - Not all of the standard objects are available on the different license types, including Leads.

Craig PCraig P

Amazingly helpful. Thanks!

Kumaresan MKumaresan M
I am facing problem in the same area. I have enabled authenticated website users for my portal users. But i cant see any standard onject permissions also for this profile. they dont access to their records also? I want to know how the sharing will happen for these profiles users.