function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JFAJFA 

Manage Complex Access to Contracts?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to customize our Contracts tab to support the following requirements:
1) 7 types of Contracts that our company maintains must be support
2) All 7 types of Contracts will be entered (owned) by our Legal team
3) Our other 9 teams should be able to only read, not write/edit Contract data
4) Furthermore to requirement #3, each of the 9 teams must have only read access to some *but not all* of the 7 types of Contracts.  Team 1 should be able to read Contract type 1, 2, 5 but not 3, 4, 6, 7.  Team 2 should be able to read Contract type 1, but not 2-7.

I can't quite figure out how to address all these requirements using any combination of page layouts/record types/profiles/sharing rules.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,
-Jason
SteveBowerSteveBower

I'm no expert, but can't you just shoot all the lawyers?  :-)

Seriously though, if you were to create 7 record types for your contracts, 10 profiles (legal + 9), and 10 Page Layouts (one per profile), wouldn't that do the trick? (albeit ugly)

Seriously though (#2), I'm more of a programmer than an implementor, I mainly just wanted to say "shoot all the lawyers"  :-) Good luck, Steve.

JFAJFA
Wish I could :).

Seriously though, your solution *almost* works, except that users can still create contract views that allow them to access all Contract fields that they can't see on their default page layout.  I could disallow users of that profile access to read those fields at all, but I want them to be able to see those fields for *other* Contract types.