function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Gerri WheelerGerri Wheeler 

What are the best practices in determining whether a formula field should be created versus workflow field update?

For instance, if I want to add the contents of 4 numerica fields on an object, I could create a formula field to add them.  Somewhere though, I've read that it is better to use Workflow Rules and field updates to do this function so that continuous calculations don't occur.  I've looked and looked for documentation on this but have found none.
Best Answer chosen by Gerri Wheeler
Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC
Hi Gerri, 

Both are completely different, 

We use formula field when there has to be a Formulated value also to be displayed in another field etc. 

FOrmulas are run only when the record is loaded. 

Where as we use Workflow when based on a certain criteria we have to update a field automatically. 

Worlflows are used based on Save / Edit of a record. 

Reply back if you have a scenario that we can help you with. 

Regards,
Ashish

All Answers

Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC
Hi Gerri, 

Both are completely different, 

We use formula field when there has to be a Formulated value also to be displayed in another field etc. 

FOrmulas are run only when the record is loaded. 

Where as we use Workflow when based on a certain criteria we have to update a field automatically. 

Worlflows are used based on Save / Edit of a record. 

Reply back if you have a scenario that we can help you with. 

Regards,
Ashish

This was selected as the best answer
Gerri WheelerGerri Wheeler
Hi Ashish,

Thank you for your answer.  I had heard about governances and must have misunderstood the application.  
Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi Gerri, 

Formulas and Workflows are part of the UI and The Governor LImits apply only for the Code and Its execution. 

Feel free to post on the Board if you have any further questions, we / members will be happy to help. 

Regards,

Ashish