function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Chris HeathChris Heath 

Summer '14 API Version 31.0 - Eclipse - "Can't alter metadata in an active org"

Hello all,

I'm having a strange issue with my Eclipse Force.com IDE.

Before version 31.0 came out and since it came out, I've been working on my main computer which has version 30.0 of Apex installed. With this version, Eclipse allows me to save a file, it will go through the Building Workspace process, and it will save the file to production as long as it passes all the checks.

I have a different computer that I have installed Eclipse and API version 31.0 on today. When I attempt to save a changed file, it starts the Building Workspace process, then after a few seconds stops with no error or warning messages without saving the changes to production. 

I tried both ways with the developer console open. The first way was fine with no messages popping up, and the log showed that it was successful. When I tried to save in version 31.0, it gives me the message "Can't alter metadata in an active org".

If I switch to Work Offline mode and save the file, then right click -> Force.com -> Save to server, it proceeds to save to production. However, this is a much slower process, as I can't edit any other files while waiting for that to save.

Any suggestions to resolve this issue are much appreciated.

Thank you.
Deepak Kumar ShyoranDeepak Kumar Shyoran
It just a version issue please update your production and Sandbox with the latest version to remove such type of errors occur during deployment.
Chris HeathChris Heath
Deepak, thank you for your answer. How do I go about updating the production to API version 31.0? Will that make the Eclipse with version 30.0 no longer work, and I'll need to update that as well?

Thank you again!
Yes you can use the eclipse as well to update the version of the component of Production.
Chris HeathChris Heath
How do I go about updating the production to API version 31.0?
You need to update every component which was created in older version individually by using the Metadata from Eclipse.