function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Martin BrandhuberMartin Brandhuber 

"Enable API" not available

Hi,

I wanted to connect Mulesoft with Salesforce, but it tells me "API is not enabled for your organisation". So I checked the Community Forums for answers (most are from 2014), and there were four possible responses

1. You don't have to enable it, it is enabled by default (it isn't)
  2. If you are sysadmin (I am) go to Setup > Users > YourUser > Edit > scroll down to administrator rights and check the checkbox for "Enable API" (this box isn't there, nor other options which I had seen on screenshots)
  3. What edition do you use? It is only available in (...) and in developer edition by default  (I use the 30 day trial developer edition)
  4. Contact support (which is not available for me, only the community)
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for your help!
JethaJetha
You can try below option : 

Please go to your user's profile and you will find one option under Administrative Permissions "API Enabled".

Please check that box and try again.

Let us know if that helps.
Thank you for your quick reply but the section Administrative Permissions is not listed on my profile.

User-added image
JyothsnaJyothsna (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Martin,

The API is automatically enabled by default on the following editions:
1. Enterprise Edition
2. Unlimited Edition
3. Developer Edition
4. Performance Edition

The API package is not available for purchase in the following editions:
1. Contact Edition
2. Group Edition

The API feature might be requested for the following editions via purchase:
1. Professional Edition

ResolutionBeginning in Winter '15 Release, API is not available to be activated for Contact Manager or Group Editions, not even for migration purposes.
Please contact your Account Executive if you would like to upgrade your edition to Enterprise or higher.

For Professional Edition organizations, all requests for API access must be purchased and can be processed contacting your Account Executive.

If you need the API enabled for a Data Migration to a Group or Professional Edition organization, you will need to contact your Account Executive and request that API be provisioned as courtesy. These requests should be for Data Migrations only and will be up to you and your Account Executive to determine the time frame of the API enabled.

There may be applications on the AppExchange that are permitted for the Group or Professional Editions even though it states that it requires API.  
Those applications will require appropriate authentication to provide blanket API access. Please contact the Developer of the application to determine if this authentication has been provided.

Support will not be able to assist you with this activation.

If the organization that needs the feature to be enabled is owned by a Partner:

- Have a System Administrator log a Case with Salesforce Partner Support

- Please include all important details including the Organization ID and a business case for the request

- Partner Support will review the Case and action it as needed.

Hope this helps you!
Best Regards,
Jyothsna
cloudSavvyProgcloudSavvyProg
Hi Martin,

Are you using new developer edition? 

The API is automatically enabled by default on the following editions:
1. Enterprise Edition
2. Unlimited Edition
3. Developer Edition
4. Performance Edition

The API package is not available for purchase in the following editions:
1. Contact Edition
2. Group Edition

The API feature might be requested for the following editions via purchase:
1. Professional Edition

I am aware you have mentioned that your org is Developer org. So it should be available by default. But you mentioned you are seeing for the permission in user. The permission API enabled is in Profiles.

See the below link
https://ebsta.zendesk.com/entries/53460205-How-do-I-enable-API-access-in-Salesforce-

if you still cannot see it then, raise a case with SF.See link below.
https://success.salesforce.com/answers?id=90630000000h0GnAAI

Hope this helps.

Regards,
CloudSavvyProg

JethaJetha
not on user detail page, it's on user's profile....
I feel a bit stupid right now but I can't find it. When I click on My Profile

User-added image

I get directed to a page where I see latest contributions, posts, feeds etc. but no settings
By going through "Setup" I can only access the user details and not the profiles (as in the last screenshot).

JethaJetha
Ok I will walk you through step by step:

Setup -> User ->(Find your user record ) -> Click on that user's profile field and now you can see the detail page of user's profile.

On that profile you will have API enabled option.

Thanks

Thank you for your patience. So:

1.) Setup
User-added image

2.) Users
User-added image

3.) My Record
User-added image
I can click on Edit, my Name, my Alias, my Username, and get redirected to the details. The Profile field is not clickable

Okay I have signed up for another account and it works. Maybe the reason was that I had used a Professional Version before and signed up for the developer edition with the same account credentials; maybe the system didn't distinguish between the two?

Anyways, it works now, and also Mulesoft responded perfectly. Thank you very much for your time!
cloudSavvyProgcloudSavvyProg
Hi Martin,

Looks like your user is assigned to a custom system administrator profile from your screen shots. Thats the reason you dont have the permission to view profiles.
Check whether permission sets are assigned to your user. Seup -> Manage user -> choose you user -> scroll to permission set.

If yes, edit permission set to see if you can find API enabled. 

If you cannot find, then you should contact your Administration for more permissions.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
CloudSavvyProg