function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
myatmyatmyatmyat 

How to retrieve all contents from inbound change set

Hi All,

Any way that I can download all the contents (eg. apex class, trigger, visualforce pages) from inbound change set to local PC before deploy in target environment?

Thanks.
Richard Jimenez 9Richard Jimenez 9
Hi myatmyat,

I dont think this is possible.

I'm not entirely sure why you want to do this. I would expect you should already have the contents if you pull them from the sandbox you uploaded them from? If you have concerns about the deployment, I would recommend you deploy into a QA sandbox to validate the changeset and check everything is deployed and thoroughly tested (UAT) before you deploy. You can also use tools like eclipse to do a diff compare between orgs. You should keep a deployment log (spreadsheet) of the items in your changeset to help you track and manage your deployments and the items that have been created or changed.

Thanks,
Richard.
myatmyatmyatmyat
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply and advice. The reason why we want to do is that we will have 3-4 developers working together (eg. while some are working for new development, some might need to do in bug fix and some might be working on production CRs) and we only have one sandbox for now. So, we are afraid that after we created outbound changeset, someone accidentaly updated the codes and that changes will be brought over to the target environment without aware of as deployment will be done by another person. 

That's why we are looking the way to make sure that the inbound change only includes the contents that we intent to deploy. 

Thanks. 
Myat

Richard Jimenez 9Richard Jimenez 9
Hi myatmyat,

Multiple streams of development in one sandbox and no environment to test releases sounds like a strategy with a lot of risks (which I'm sure you are fully aware of).

You need a strong development and release strategy to manage the changes your team are working on, to help identify and separate any potential dependencies early. If you are doing a release and there is incomplete work on going, you need some control documents (e.g. google spreadsheet) to track all the items the developers are making (your developers need to ensure they maintain these), so you have a really clear view of what has been changed by who and for what task. You can then build your changeset from this log. Doing this after (the horse has bolted), will require someone with knowledge across the whole development  to see what is missing or included incorrectly, or you will need all of your  developers to review the items, and if they've changed a lot then the are relying on peoples memory!

Depending on the type of development and amount of existing configuration in the org your code relies on, you could get the developers to use dev orgs and develop separatley. You can use sourcecontrol (github) to store your code base, and each developer can branch off the master. When the code is ready, the developers can push back into the master, which can then be pulled down into your sandbox for system testing. You can then deploy from the sandbox as it should only contain stable/completed work. You can then rely on the source control to track changes instead of spreadsheets.

Just some thoughts to give you some ideas.

Thanks,
Richard.

myatmyatmyatmyat
Hi Richard,

Thanks. That was really helpful.
We are thinking to use tortoise svn/eclipse subversive plug in for source control. I think we should explore github for another option as well.
At the time being, our team is looking/working whether we can have separate sandboxes for New development, CR/Fix development, SIT, UAT and LIVE.
If happened we can get it, I think we can apply the concept you have given in above.

Thanks a lot.
Myat