function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Raquel RiemerRaquel Riemer 

I need help or direction with a project

We send people to school abroad for different sessions through the year. We can have multiple sessions running at the same time. We house the students within 4 dorms, multiple room and floor for each dorm. We try to place those from a specific session together as well as place genders in the same vicinity. We want to at any given time see the capacity of every room or dorm, which student and what session of students are located where. Thoughts below.

We have an object called Experience which is the "parent" of those "registered" for that particular experience. Those registered for that experience are housed in an object called "Registration". Note: The Experience object has no master detail relationship with the Registration object, it is simply a related list (i believe).

Every experience has a start date and an end date. Every Registration should list a dorm and a room.

I was thinking of creating two new objects Dorms which would have a master detail relationship with Rooms and Experiences possibly a master detail relationship with Dorms?

When a registrant is assigned a room it will be a separate object. In this object will be a start and end date field. You need to choose a start and end date to be able to make any other choices. I would need the new button to also auto-populate the session name.
Once chosen the available rooms would show for that time frame with the current counts per room. You could then choose a dorm and a room. There will also be a field for gender which will be mandatory.
The dorm object would simply be four dorm records listing the room numbers and the total beds per room as well as gender fields (note bed number needs to be accessible as sometimes they squeeze one in.) Basically the dorm object would house all the rollup totals for any given day for any room within that dorm. I would a field to choose a date, and every room count would update, with a capacity field yellow when close to capacity and red at capacity. The gender fields would also populate per room. You could see everything going on in that dorm at that date.
When you go to the experience I would have rollup fields as well to the dorms object. There would be the four dorm fields and for each gender fields that would simply count the sleeping arrangements for everyone in that session.

I know this was long. But am I on the right path here?