function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Frank van Meegen 13Frank van Meegen 13 

Insert list via APEX with lookup field populated

Hi all,

I have been struggling to insert a list of records in Salesforce via APEX with populating a lookup field. Each item in the list will have a different parent. How can I map the Id of the specific parent to each child item without doing a SOQL for each child item?

I have a retrieved a list of values from a JSON string called strResponse and parse it via a JSON2APEX class. This list will have 2 items Code and Value.

The code value is also available as an external Id on the parent object ParentObject__c.Code__c that is related via ChildObject__c .ParentObject__c

If I insert the following code I get an error that the lookup field does not contain a valid Id. How can I populate the ParentObject__c  field with an Id of the matching parent record?
ChildObject__c [] Childs = new List<ChildObject__c>();
String strResponse = httpResponse.getBody();
List<JSON2Apex>  delegationMap = (List<JSON2Apex>)JSON.deserialize(strResponse, List<JSON2Apex>.class);

for(JSON2Apex cp : delegationMap) {                 

ChildObject__c Child = new ChildObject__c (ParentObject__c = cp.Code,                                        
                                                               ValueField__c = cp.Value);                 

Childs.add(Child);                  

}
                insert Childs;

Kaustubh LabheKaustubh Labhe
Mind if you show me the JSON response and the wrapper class please? 

Thanks
Sure!
public class JSON2Apex {
    public String Code, Value;
    public static List<JSON2Apex> parse(String json) {
        return (List<JSON2Apex>)System.JSON.deserialize(json, List<JSON2Apex>.class);
    }

}

Kaustubh LabheKaustubh Labhe
Hey,

Just checking but the ParentObject__c =cp.Code, PatentObject__c here obviously is a lookup field right? and by looking at the error, does the  value in that Code a standard salesforce ID string (15/18 digit alphanumeric etc.)?                                        
Tuan LuTuan Lu
You might want to print out the value of cp.Code. Its probably not set or unserialized incorrectly.
The ParentObject__c  looks like the following:
Id, Name, Code__c
9060G0000005QK3,'XYZ','XYZ'
9060G0000005QK4,'ABC','ABC'
9060G0000005QK5,'DEF','DEF'

The ChildObject__c records I whant to insert are like:

ParentObject__c, ValueField__c 
'ABC', '123'
'XYZ', '456'
'DEF','987'

The error I get is valid since I am trying to insert a string e.g. 'ABC' in a lookup field instead of a Salesforce Id. My goal would be to combine the 2 lists so I have the Salesforce Id of the ParentObject__c  in the list of ChildObject__c records I whant to insert:

ParentObject__c, ValueField__c 
'9060G0000005QK4', '123'
'9060G0000005QK3', '456'
'9060G0000005QK5','987'

I do not know how I can achieve this without querying each childobject in a loop, but this could cause governor limit issues. Any ideas how I can map these 2 lists together?
Tuan LuTuan Lu
You can query all your parent objects in one query like select Id, Name, Code__c where Name in :childParentCodes. Loop through results and put in map by Name. Then loop through all child objects and lookup Name in map and set Id.