function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
VSUVSU 

how to close bulk cases using Case number via dataloader

I have been asked to close around 1000+ cases. All I have is the Case Number, Account Name, Created Date, Subject. Data Loader does not give me CaseNumber option (due to AutoNumber I guess). How can I proceed with closing these? Manually hitting on "Close Case" would take forever.

Best Answer chosen by VSU
Jawaad ShahJawaad Shah
Hi Vinitha

If you have less than 10,000 records you can use https://dataloader.io. which is very easy to use.

There is a short video you can watch on how to update records.

In your CSV file, you only need to use the Case Number and Status as column headings.

After attaching your file, you will need to map the Case Number.  Choose Case ID and select the lookup via option, and choose Case Number.User-added image

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Jawaad

All Answers

Jawaad ShahJawaad Shah
Hi Vinitha

If you have less than 10,000 records you can use https://dataloader.io. which is very easy to use.

There is a short video you can watch on how to update records.

In your CSV file, you only need to use the Case Number and Status as column headings.

After attaching your file, you will need to map the Case Number.  Choose Case ID and select the lookup via option, and choose Case Number.User-added image

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Jawaad
This was selected as the best answer
VSUVSU
Thanks Jawaad! That worked. Is this not possible via Apex dataloader? thats what is used here extensively.
Jawaad ShahJawaad Shah
Hi Vinitha

Glad you updated them!

It is possible with the data loader, but you would have had to do the following steps:

Export Cases using the dataloader
In your import (update) CSV, you would need to create another column called Case ID.
You would then need to use VLOOKUP to populate the Case ID column in your CSV, by matching with the Case Number.
You can then use the dataloader for your update.

There's a few more steps here, and it's definately possible .... just not as easy as the tool you used!

Dataloader.io is restricted to 10,000 records per month for free. If you have larger volumes then Salesforce dataloader is the tool you can use.

Thanks, Jawaad

(Please can you mark this as solved if your question is resolved).