function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Harsha ShriHarsha Shri 

One child record should have one Parent

Hi All,
I have two object one is Bank__c and another one is customer__c. Customer data I am getting from external system (SAP). From SAP I will select the customers and then I will select the bank to map. All customers will showing everytime. If Customer1 is linked to Bank1 then Customer1 sholud not be allowed to map to another Bank. How can I do this?
Please help me.
Thanks in Advance
Best Answer chosen by Harsha Shri
jigarshahjigarshah
Harsha,
  • Create a text field on Customer and call it CustomerBankKey__c. Please mark this field as Unique.
  • Whenever a Customer is linked with a Bank, populate the CustomerBankKey__c field with a underscore concatenated value of Customer Record Id and Bank Record Id.
Due to the unique constraint, the CustomerBankKey__c value would be unique and would flag an error in case the same customer and bank key combination occurs.

All Answers

Manj_SFDCManj_SFDC
You need have a custom logic may be a before insert trigger on Customer__c
before you insert the Customer record ,  check if the customer is already maped with a bank , if its not go ahead and insert else disaply an error message
Ayush TripathiAyush Tripathi
Hi you can do this by

Step 1:

Create a custom field on the customer__c object. Make the field unique. This field would be used to hold the ID of the associated Bank__c .

Step 2:

Create a Workflow rule on customer__c . Update the custom field with the value of the associated Bank__c  ID.

When you try to add a second customer__c to the Bank__c  , the "unique" constraint would be violated and an error would be thrown.....
jigarshahjigarshah
Harsha,
  • Create a text field on Customer and call it CustomerBankKey__c. Please mark this field as Unique.
  • Whenever a Customer is linked with a Bank, populate the CustomerBankKey__c field with a underscore concatenated value of Customer Record Id and Bank Record Id.
Due to the unique constraint, the CustomerBankKey__c value would be unique and would flag an error in case the same customer and bank key combination occurs.
This was selected as the best answer