function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Andrée-Anne CouillardAndrée-Anne Couillard 

Opportunity Action - Pre-populate field values based on Opportunity Values

Hi,

We have a button on the Opportunity object (Opportunity Action) to create a new proposal.
I need the fields on this proposal creation from the prepopulate (values taken from the opportunity values).
Ex: Proposal language is entered by the sales guys on the opportunity, and should be prepopulate when creating new proposal with that button.

I used the "Predefined Field Values" for some fields... but really need some other field to be the same as what is on the OP (not predefined).

Any work around? If it involves coding please give as much details as you can on the stpes to take, as I'm not a developer. 
Thanks!!
Roman RiabenskyiRoman Riabenskyi
Hello Andrée-Anne!
Have you tried Field Update by Workflow rule? Or Field Reference by Process Builder?
Hi Roman,

Thanks for your answer!

I will have a closer look to see if these could work... Do you think that these could work to populate right away in the "Creation Pop-up Box" or we would have to save and then they would be updated.

User-added image
Nope, populating executes only after the Save if you use Workflow Rule (WFR) or Process Builder. 
I see you have bunch of Picklists. Maybe Dependent Picklists will fit your requirements? It works right away in the Box.
For example:
If Proposal Status is "CSG KickOff Pending", the valid values for Proposal Type are A or D.
If Proposal Status is "CSG KickOff Negotiation", the valid values for Proposal Type are B or C.
Then you can make dependencies for another Picklists. 
Hey Roman,

So I look at workflow and process builder again for this use case... but I don't think it would work.
I can't seem to be able to make the Value "whatever is on the OP for Proposal type for example.
User-added image

User-added image
It is not "preset values" that I want to insert (I already did that for some fields with "Predefined Field Values" on the Action set-up), but whatever was entered on the Opportunity object (these field are not depended of anything):
User-added image
And the reason it is not a formulat field on the Proposal Object to go grab these, is that we should be able to change them on the Proposal Object afterward, and not affecting the fields in the OP.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Sorry, can you explain what do you mean "I used the "Predefined Field Values" for some fields... but really need some other field to be the same as what is on the OP (not predefined)."
So on the Opportunity Action Setup I can set up some pre set values that will be the same for all new Proposal created.
User-added image
But, what I would need is to pre-populate other fields (like proposal type, proposal category, required date...) based on what is entered on the opportunity, since these are never the same.
If Proposal laguage = English on the Opportunity, Pre-fill this field on the Proposal whit value English.
Yes, Andrée-Anne, I understood you. I see that Picklists don't allow you to have a reference. Here are some my suggestions:
1. Record types. On one record type you have one values, on another record type you have another values.
Proposal1:
User-added image
Proposal2:
User-added image
2. Process Builder that will make field reference. 
User-added image
Object: Proposal
Start the process: only when a record is created -> No criteria—just execute the actions! -> Update Records

I took away all the not referenced fields on my Quick Action layout because that will hinder our success process. 
User-added image
When I created my Proposal record I saw referenced fields. 
User-added image

You should have the same field types and values.
What do you think?  
Hi Roman,

Thanks for your answer.
I don't see it working in my org though, as we have many values for each 4-5 picklist values that I wnat to pre-populate.

Also, I don't want the person who is creating the Proposal to need to cross check what is the info entered on the opportunity to be able to select the correct proposal record type...

We have it working good already in Classic with URL hacks I belive (I'm not the who set it up).
So I'm looking for something that will apply to Lightning only (e.i.: process would be linked to the "Proposal Creation" specific button for Lightnting.)