function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Scott RussoScott Russo 

"A workflow or approval field update caused an error when saving this record. Contact your administrator to resolve it"

We have a working customization in place. No issues in Classic mode, but we receive this error in Lightning mode, when we add a case comment.
Our customization is to add the comment to a new field located on the case object. This Text Area field has a 255 character limit. The way it works in classic mode, you add a very long comment to the case, there is a workflow which takes the contents of the last comment, and performs a field update workflow action.  Since this text area field has a limit of 255 characters, Salesforce automatically truncates the text from the CommentsBody to fit in this field.  When I switch to Lightning mode, the same action throws the following error

New Case Comment
Review the errors on this page.
  • A workflow or approval field update caused an error when saving this record. Contact your administrator to resolve it. Last Case Comment Internal: data value too large: 
  • (max length=255)
Best Answer chosen by Scott Russo
Dev_AryaDev_Arya
Text area to text long will not affect the esisting data. But I prefer to be on the safe side and will keep back up (just in case). WIth Text long you are icreasing the field size, hence nothing will be lost. 

All Answers

Dev_AryaDev_Arya
Hi Scott,

I do not know the reason yet behind this, perhaps the lightning model where is leaves a control more to the user. I remember last year we had something similar and we ended up changing the field type from Text Area to Text long. Else You can use the javascript and trim the field.
Scott RussoScott Russo
Hi Dev_Arya,

Thank you for the reply.  If I change the field to Text Long or if I increase the character length of the field, will this affect existing data saved in this field?
Dev_AryaDev_Arya
Text area to text long will not affect the esisting data. But I prefer to be on the safe side and will keep back up (just in case). WIth Text long you are icreasing the field size, hence nothing will be lost. 
This was selected as the best answer
Dev_AryaDev_Arya
Hi Scott, 

if the problem is resolved, could you mark the question as closed? Thanks.
Scott RussoScott Russo
Thank you, I switched this field to a Text long and increased to 3500 characters.  Thank you
Conor CaulkettConor Caulkett
What was the field you changed?  I have the same issue

Scott RussoScott Russo
Conor Caulkett It's a new custom text field. Did you follow the steps I performed to resolve?
"switched this field to a Text long and increased to 3500 characters."