function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
marc.lucoffmarc.lucoff 

How do I auto-populate a custom lookup field on a person account based on the value of another custom field?

I asked this question a little over a week ago: We have person accounts enabled in our org. We have business accounts with a custom picklist field called Business Account Type with the values "Headquarters" and "Branch Office". If "Branch Office" is selected, a validation rule triggers on save that will require a value in a custom text field called Branch ID (Branch_ID__c). On person account is the same Branch ID field and if it is populated with a value that matches the Branch ID on a business account, a custom lookup field to account called Company (Company__c) should auto-poulate with the account name on the person account.

I have tried using the process automation tools; flow and process builder but was unable to get them to work. I think an apex trigger is required to resolve this issue. I have even tried to write the trigger myself but I have very little experience with triggers. Here is what I have so far which I don't think is anything close to what I need:

trigger updateCompanyLookup on Account (before insert) {

Set<String> accountIdList = new Set<String>();
    Map<String,String> accNameMap = new Map<String,String>();

for (Account pa : Trigger.new) {
        accountIdList.add(pa.Branch_ID__c);
    }

for(Account ba : [SELECT Id, Branch_ID__c FROM Account WHERE Branch_ID__c IN  :accountIdList AND IsPersonAccount=True]) {
        if(ba.Branch_ID__c!=null){
                  accNameMap.put(ba.Branch_ID__c,ba.Id);
        }

}

for(Account pa : Trigger.new) {
        if(accNameMap.containsKey(pa.Branch_ID__c)){
            pa.Id = accNameMap.get(pa.Company__c);
        }
    }
}

Best Answer chosen by marc.lucoff
Briana L.Briana L.

//Get a set of all the Branch IDs related to the Person Accounts in this insert
    Set<String> BranchIDstoFind = new Set<String>();
    for (Account acc : Trigger.new) {
       //If the newly inserted account is a Person account with a Branch ID
	   if(acc.isPersonAccount==true && string.isNotBlank(acc.Branch_ID__c)){ 			BranchIDstoFind.add(acc.Branch_ID__c);
	   }
    }

//Declare a map of the branch ID to the Business Account ID
	Map<String,ID> mapBranchIDtoBAccID = new Map<String,ID>();

//SOQL the "Business Accounts" for the ones that match the Branch IDS
	List<Account> businessAccounts = [SELECT Id, Branch_ID__c FROM Account WHERE Branch_ID__c IN  :BranchIDstoFind AND IsPersonAccount=False];
	if(businessAccounts.size()>0){
		for(Account ba : businessAccounts){
			mapBranchIDtoBAccID.put(ba.Branch_ID__c, ba.ID);
		}
	}

//Now, loop over the newly inserted Accounts
    for(Account acc : Trigger.new) {
		//if the account is a person account and we have a map of matching Business accounts
		if(acc.isPersonAccount==true && mapBranchIDtoBAccID !=null && !mapBranchIDtoBAccID.isEmpty()){
			//if there is a branch ID on this person account
			if(String.isNotBlank(acc.Branch_ID__c)){
				//Get the business account from the map and set the lookup
				ID businessAccountID = mapBranchIDtoBAccID.get(acc.Branch_ID__c);
				if(businessAccountID!=null){
					acc.Company__c = businessAccountID;
				}				
			}
		}

}
}

All Answers

Briana L.Briana L.
Can you please clarify your requirements? I think this is what you are trying to achieve:

Requirements:
If a Person Account is inserted and has a value for "Branch ID" you must search for the Business Account with the matching "Branch ID"
If a matching "Branch ID" is found on a Business Account, set the lookup field on the Person Account to lookup to the Business Account.

marc.lucoffmarc.lucoff
Hi @Briana L.
That is absolutely correct. Our business use case is the following: Person accounts are created from one of two ways 1) a converted lead; or 2) created on bulk import based on record type. Business accounts are created independantly with either a headquarter ID or a Branch ID. If a person account has a Branch ID, perform a search and find the business account with the matching Branch ID and populate the person account's Company lookup field with that matching business account name.
Briana L.Briana L.

//Get a set of all the Branch IDs related to the Person Accounts in this insert
    Set<String> BranchIDstoFind = new Set<String>();
    for (Account acc : Trigger.new) {
       //If the newly inserted account is a Person account with a Branch ID
	   if(acc.isPersonAccount==true && string.isNotBlank(acc.Branch_ID__c)){ 			BranchIDstoFind.add(acc.Branch_ID__c);
	   }
    }

//Declare a map of the branch ID to the Business Account ID
	Map<String,ID> mapBranchIDtoBAccID = new Map<String,ID>();

//SOQL the "Business Accounts" for the ones that match the Branch IDS
	List<Account> businessAccounts = [SELECT Id, Branch_ID__c FROM Account WHERE Branch_ID__c IN  :BranchIDstoFind AND IsPersonAccount=False];
	if(businessAccounts.size()>0){
		for(Account ba : businessAccounts){
			mapBranchIDtoBAccID.put(ba.Branch_ID__c, ba.ID);
		}
	}

//Now, loop over the newly inserted Accounts
    for(Account acc : Trigger.new) {
		//if the account is a person account and we have a map of matching Business accounts
		if(acc.isPersonAccount==true && mapBranchIDtoBAccID !=null && !mapBranchIDtoBAccID.isEmpty()){
			//if there is a branch ID on this person account
			if(String.isNotBlank(acc.Branch_ID__c)){
				//Get the business account from the map and set the lookup
				ID businessAccountID = mapBranchIDtoBAccID.get(acc.Branch_ID__c);
				if(businessAccountID!=null){
					acc.Company__c = businessAccountID;
				}				
			}
		}

}
}

This was selected as the best answer
marc.lucoffmarc.lucoff
Hi @Briana L.

Thank you so very much for your help. I am beyond grateful. Your trigger worked perfectly but I did have to add a "before insert" to the first line of the trigger. Here's the updated first line:

trigger updateCompanyLookup on Account (before insert, before update) {

Now I just need to write the test class to deploy to production. Thanks again. You're a lifesaver. 
marc.lucoffmarc.lucoff
sorry... i added the "before update"