function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sandra SinclairSandra Sinclair 

Salesforce validation rules for accepting data from Oracle Eloqua?

My team has been researching the ability for Eloqua to add logic to only pass fields from Eloqua to Salesforce if they are not blank or the target SFDC field is not blank.  Unfortunately, we concluded it is not possible from the Eloqua end to do this. This could significantly impact the contact record if we send lead activity data back for a known SFDC contact, as we don’t write the existing SFDC data to our contact record since we can’t do prioritized overwrite rules in Eloqua.

Does anyone know if there is a way for Salesforce to manage this for the incoming data source? Is it possible to set logic on designated lead and contact fields to only accept Eloqua data if it is not blank, and for specific fields only if SFDC is blank?

Greg CooganGreg Coogan
Do you use a dedicated service account/Salesforce user for the Eloqua integration that would be making the changes in Salesforce? If yes, then you can create a Validation Rule that will return an error if the record is missing any type of data and it was created by the User for your Eloqua Integration.

Another approach is if you had a checkbox like "Created By Eloqua Integration" that your data integration sets to true, then you can use a Validation Rule based on that field and when certain fields are blank, to trigger the Validation Rule error message.
PawanKumarPawanKumar
I agree with Greg Coogan. The above solution pretty much works. I have already implemented for one of my requirement.

Regards,
Pawan Kumar