function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
otv20otv20 

Show field from external object in standard list view.

I'm trying to figure it out if it is possible to show a field from an external object in standard list view.
I have the relationship already but can't find a way to display the field.

Any help would be appreciated it.

Thanks in advanced.
Abdul KhatriAbdul Khatri
Standard List View only show fields of the SObject they belongs to

If I understood correctly, you have Standard SObject and External Object. There is already a relationship between the two object. You wanted to show a field from External Object on the Standard SObject List View.

Then here is my suggestion.
  • Create a Field on the Standard SObject with the required datatype. 
  • Update the field with any one of the following ways
    • Workflow
    • Process Builder
    • Trigger
You may need to update the value for the existing data.

otv20otv20

Thanks for Your response, the thing here is that I can't save the value in Salesforce (That's why I'm using Salesforce Connect).

The requirements are:

• Amount value in opportunity can't be saved in Salesforce.
  • In the external object, I've got the relationship between the opportunity and amount 
  • In standard kanban list view of Opportunities, I could group opportunities by amount.
So it should act like amount value 'lives' in Salesforce but it doesn't.

Any suggestion?

Regards.
Abdul KhatriAbdul Khatri
Not sure I understood your requriement.

Amount is the standard field on the opportunity.

If you are not saving theAmount value on the Opportunity, then how can you group opportunities by amount. ?
How the relationship looks like between External Object, Opportunity and Amount.?
Which field from External Object you wanted to show, I guess on the List View of the Opportunity, right?
otv20otv20
Yes, the amount is a standard field on the opportunity. But By requirement,
I can't save amount value in Salesforce. That's part of why I'm using connect.

My external object has an indirect relationship with opportunity, 
where the external object looks like: Opportunity Id, Amount, budget, otherInfo. 

I want to show an external object field in opportunity list view without saving that value in
Salesforce, always loading it from the external object.

Any thoughts?

Regards.
Abdul KhatriAbdul Khatri
I don't think you can use formual field as Opportunity in this scenario is a Parent so that is not an option.

am not sure if you can achieve this in any other way than what I suggested above.  What is the issue of storing that value, Is it any compliance issue or what issue making you not saving it. You can keep that info ReadOnly.