function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jamil Vallis-WalkerJamil Vallis-Walker 

data loader & bad value for restricted picklist field

I am trying to load a csv file (encoded as UTF-8) into the salesforce Data Loader. One of the values in the csv file is a string reading "Biotechnology & Science". When I try loading the csv file, I receive the following error.
bad value for restricted picklist field: Biotechnology & Science
I have referenced Salesforce knowledge articles such as this, but none have helped. I have tried checking off the Data Loader's "Read all CSVs with UTF-8 encoding" checkbox but it does not resolve the issue. Manually enclosing the value in double quotes (") does not help either.
The csv file when opened with Notepad shows the following:
False,3,Biotechnology & Science,Jacksonville University,
(This is only a snippit of the data but coveres the value discussed)

I am creating the csv file via a Python 3 script using the Pandas .to_csv() method, which defaults encoding to UTF-8. I am operating on a Windows 10 computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Raj VakatiRaj Vakati
Right click on the CSV file
Choose 'Open with...'
Select 'Notepad' from available list(if 'Notepad' is not available then click 'Choose Default program'
Once the file is opened in Notepad, choose 'Save as' from file menu 
Add '.csv' at the end of the file name
Select 'Save as type' : 'All Files'
Choose 'Encoding' : UTF-8
Click Save

https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=faq_import_dataloader_specialchars.htm&type=5

https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=000194097&type=1
KdKomalKdKomal
Hi Jamil,

Due you have the "Restrict picklist values defined in the value set" checkbox marked ? if that is the case, please uncheck it and then try.
Jamil Vallis-WalkerJamil Vallis-Walker
Raj: This solution does not work - the same error occurs.

Komal: Wouldn't that just allow the "Biotechnology & Science" value to be passed in instead of "Biotechnology & Science"?