function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mike Bucci 6Mike Bucci 6 

Can you create a formula that calls specific fields from a specific record in another object?

I am trying to create a cross object formula that selects specific fields from another object where I define the record that those fields should be pulled from. 

As an example…   Let’s say that I have an object with fields:

Unique Identifier FieldColorSize
1BlueSmall
2RedMedium
3GreenLarge

Can I specify in a formula that I want the “Color” from record #2 and get back “Red”?  If so, how?

Thank you so much for anything that you can do!
kamala swarnalathakamala swarnalatha
Hi,

Can you please elaborate briefly that the fields in same or different object.

The above mentioned criteria is not understandable.

Thanks,
K.Kamala.
Sweet Potato Tec.
Glyn Anderson (Slalom)Glyn Anderson (Slalom)
Mike,  I think you need the VLOOKUP function.  Something like:

VLOOKUP( $ObjectType.Data_Object__c.Fields.Color__c, $ObjectType.Data_Object__c.Fields.Unique_Id__c, Color_Selection__c )

Where "Data_Object__c" is the object whose records have the values you're trying to retreive.  "Color__c" is the field on Data_Object__c that stores the color data, "Unique_Id__c" is the field on Data_Object__c that identifies the record you want to get the data from, and "Color_Selection__c" is the field on the current object that has the value that identifies a particular Data_Object__c record.

For more info on VLOOKUP, see: https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=customize_functions_i_z.htm&type=5 and scroll almost all the way to the bottom.