function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jefferson  EscobarJefferson Escobar 

What is the best approach to show Account information in a Communiy ?

Hi all,

We are trying to show information through a community which contains data from Account object. As you may know there is profile for a guest user who can access to Salesforce externally and allow external customers navigating to our community, the thing we want to extend the access for query some accounts (Stores in our cases) but  I am concerned about the security by allowing access to the account object (even read-only) for people with public access to the site. We are thinking to create a specific object to replicate the information which is only needed from Account and then enable public access Read-Only to that one.

What would you consider the best approach to full-fill this requirement ? Have you ever struggled with such as implementation ?

Thanks in advance for any hint you can share.
Jeff

Best Answer chosen by Jefferson Escobar
Hi Community,

I found out the best approach provided by Salesforce. So, in order to expose account data, ensure you don't have any sensitve information to show in the community, specially if you are using a global search SOSL. Also, make sure the guest user profile from the community has the minimium access to accounts, once followed these consideretions, proceed with the following approach:
  • Creation of a new Public Group
  • Creation of Sharing rule which shares the Accounts you want to enable with the new Public Group
  • Add Guest User used in the community to the Public Group

All Answers

Gulafsha MohammedGulafsha Mohammed
Hello  Jefferson,
You can create a lightning component or a vf page based on your community and show the details there. In such a case the external users will only be able to view the details. The lightning component  or vf page can be placed in the community page wherever you want.

Please mark this as best answer if this has solved your issue.

Regards,
Gulafsha
Hi Gulafsha,
The concern is to enable external access to Account object, we are doubting to allow Self_Service User to access to Account records. We can manage the security by using sharing rules and apply a particular one for users in the community, but in any case I'd like to avoid grant access to the Account  object. We are thiking to create a separate object to pull over the information which need to be access for the external site, but I searching for new ideas what else we can do in order to acomplish this requierment.

Thank you.
Hi Community,
Any hint here how to implement this apporach ?

Thank you.
Hi Community,

I found out the best approach provided by Salesforce. So, in order to expose account data, ensure you don't have any sensitve information to show in the community, specially if you are using a global search SOSL. Also, make sure the guest user profile from the community has the minimium access to accounts, once followed these consideretions, proceed with the following approach:
  • Creation of a new Public Group
  • Creation of Sharing rule which shares the Accounts you want to enable with the new Public Group
  • Add Guest User used in the community to the Public Group
This was selected as the best answer