function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Patrick McClellanPatrick McClellan 

override a standard action lightning component trailhead module: Modal not working

In the Trailhead module called "Override A Standard Action with a Lightning Component", everything is going OK up till the point where we add SLDS styling to the cmp to make it a modal. They provide the code (see below), but for some reason, it's not displaying as modal for me. (Yes, I've refreshed, multiple times, even relaunching the playground.) Anybody else experiencing this?
<aura:component implements="lightning:actionOverride,flexipage:availableForRecordHome,force:hasRecordId" access="global">
    <aura:attribute name="picklistValues" type="Object" />
    <aura:attribute name="propertyRecord" type="Property__c" />
    <force:recordData aura:id="forceRecord"
                      recordId="{!v.recordId}"
                      targetFields="{!v.propertyRecord}"
                      fields="Id,Name,Beds__c,Baths__c,Price__c,Status__c"
                      mode="EDIT" />
    <aura:handler name="init" value="{!this}" action="{!c.doInit}" />

<c:PickListValues sObjectName="Property__c" fieldName="Status__c" picklistValues="{!v.picklistValues}" />

<div aura:id="editDialog" role="dialog" tabindex="-1" aria-labelledby="header43" class="slds-modal slds-fade-in-open">
        <div class="slds-modal__container">
                <div class="slds-modal__header">
                    <h2 class="slds-text-heading--medium">New Record</h2>
            </div>
            <div class="slds-modal__content slds-p-around--medium slds-grid slds-wrap ">
                <lightning:input aura:id="propName" name="propName" label="Property Name" required="true" class="slds-size--1-of-1 slds-p-horizontal_x-small" />
                <lightning:input aura:id="propBeds" name="propBeds" label="Beds" class="slds-size--1-of-2 slds-p-horizontal_x-small" />
                <lightning:input aura:id="propBaths" name="propBaths" label="Baths" class="slds-size--1-of-2 slds-p-horizontal_x-small" />
                <lightning:input aura:id="propPrice" name="propPrice" label="Price" class="slds-size--1-of-2 slds-p-horizontal_x-small" />    
                <lightning:select aura:id="propStatus" name="propStatus" label="Status" class="slds-size--1-of-2 slds-p-horizontal_x-small">
                    <aura:iteration items="{!v.picklistValues}" var="item">
                        <option value="{!item}">{!item}</option>
                    </aura:iteration>
                </lightning:select>
            </div>
            <div class="slds-modal__footer">                
                <lightning:button variant="neutral" label="Cancel" />
                <lightning:button variant="brand" label="Submit" onclick="{!c.saveRecord}" />
            </div>
        </div>
    </div>
    <div aura:id="overlay" class="slds-backdrop slds-backdrop--open"></div>
</aura:component>

Best Answer chosen by Patrick McClellan
Sandeep WaliaSandeep Walia
Hi Patrick,

I copied your code and It is working fine.
I think you would have missed extends="force:slds" in your application.

Here is the output:
User-added image

Here is my application code:
<aura:application extends="force:slds">
    <c:testComp />
</aura:application>

The testComp component contains your code.

Hope this helps,
Sandeep

All Answers

BTW, the challenge validates OK, just looks ugly without the modal.
Sandeep WaliaSandeep Walia
Hi Patrick,

I copied your code and It is working fine.
I think you would have missed extends="force:slds" in your application.

Here is the output:
User-added image

Here is my application code:
<aura:application extends="force:slds">
    <c:testComp />
</aura:application>

The testComp component contains your code.

Hope this helps,
Sandeep
This was selected as the best answer
Hey Sandeep, I really appreciate the response. There's not a separate app for this, just a component that pops up when you hit the New Property button. I went back this morning to see where/if I might include the extends you suggest, but it was working properly. Not sure what happened yesterday when I was working with it? Maybe the previous (non-modal) code was stuck in the cache? Anyway, thanks for your time!
Charisse de BelenCharisse de Belen
I ran into the same problem, and like you said, it was because the browser was caching the old component. In the first unit of this module, make sure you follow the step that says to uncheck "Enable secure and persistent browser caching to improve performance". I thought it said "check" instead of "uncheck", but now that I've gone back and fixed that, my modal is working as expected.
Tyrel CrawfordTyrel Crawford
Just want to flag that i've spent an hour messing with this only to find that Charisse de Belen was correct and I'd missed a step in phase one that was causing all this grief +1 would learn the hardway again