function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
IvanWuIvanWu 

javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

I am trying to do a OAuth2 login with java to connect salesforce,when i send the post request to this url :https://login.salesforce.com/services/oauth2/token 

an error occured:
javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

does anybody meet this problem before? who can help me to solve this problem ,thanks a lot in advance
Best Answer chosen by IvanWu
NagendraNagendra (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Ivan,

When I got the error, I tried to Google out the meaning of the expression and I found, this issue occurs when a server changes their HTTPS SSL certificate, and our older version of java doesn’t recognize the root certificate authority (CA).

• If you can access the HTTPS URL in your browser then it is possible to update Java to recognize the root CA.

• In your browser, go to the HTTPS URL that Java could not access. Click on the HTTPS certificate chain (there is lock icon in the Internet Explorer), click on the lock to view the certificate.

• Go to “Details” of the certificate and “Copy to file”. Copy it in Base64 (.cer) format. It will be saved on your Desktop.

• Install the certificate ignoring all the alerts.

• This is how I gathered the certificate information of the URL that I was trying to access.

Now I had to make my java version to know about the certificate so that further it doesn’t refuse to recognize the URL. In this respect I must mention that I googled out that root certificate information stays by default in JDK’s \jre\lib\security location, and the default password to access is: changeit.

To view the cacerts information the following are the procedures to follow:
• Click on Start Button-->Run
• Type cmd. The command prompt opens (you may need to open it as administrator).
• Go to your Java/jreX/bin directory
• Type the following
keytool -list -keystore D:\Java\jdk1.5.0_12\jre\lib\security\cacerts
It gives the list of the current certificates contained within the keystore. It looks something like this:
C:\Documents and Settings\NeelanjanaG>keytool -list -keystore D:\Java\jdk1.5.0_12\jre\lib\security\cacerts

Enter keystore password: changeit

Keystore type: jks

Keystore provider: SUN

Your keystore contains 44 entries

verisignclass3g2ca, Mar 26, 2004, trustedCertEntry,

Certificate fingerprint (MD5): A2:33:9B:4C:74:78:73:D4:6C:E7:C1:F3:8D:CB:5C:E9

entrustclientca, Jan 9, 2003, trustedCertEntry,

Certificate fingerprint (MD5): 0C:41:2F:13:5B:A0:54:F5:96:66:2D:7E:CD:0E:03:F4

thawtepersonalbasicca, Feb 13, 1999, trustedCertEntry,

Certificate fingerprint (MD5): E6:0B:D2:C9:CA:2D:88:DB:1A:71:0E:4B:78:EB:02:41

addtrustclass1ca, May 1, 2006, trustedCertEntry,

Certificate fingerprint (MD5): 1E:42:95:02:33:92:6B:B9:5F:C0:7F:DA:D6:B2:4B:FC

verisignclass2g3ca, Mar 26, 2004, trustedCertEntry,

Certificate fingerprint (MD5): F8:BE:C4:63:22:C9:A8:46:74:8B:B8:1D:1E:4A:2B:F6
Now I had to include the previously installed certificate into the cacerts.

• For this, the following is the procedure:
keytool –import –noprompt –trustcacerts –alias ALIASNAME -file FILENAME_OF_THE_INSTALLED_CERTIFICATE -keystore PATH_TO_CACERTS_FILE -storepass PASSWORD
If you are using Java 7:
keytool –importcert –trustcacerts –alias ALIASNAME -file PATH_TO_FILENAME_OF_THE_INSTALLED_CERTIFICATE -keystore PATH_TO_CACERTS_FILE -storepass changeit
It will then add the certificate information into the cacert file.

It is the solution I found for the Exception mentioned above!!

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Nagendra

All Answers

NagendraNagendra (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Ivan,

When I got the error, I tried to Google out the meaning of the expression and I found, this issue occurs when a server changes their HTTPS SSL certificate, and our older version of java doesn’t recognize the root certificate authority (CA).

• If you can access the HTTPS URL in your browser then it is possible to update Java to recognize the root CA.

• In your browser, go to the HTTPS URL that Java could not access. Click on the HTTPS certificate chain (there is lock icon in the Internet Explorer), click on the lock to view the certificate.

• Go to “Details” of the certificate and “Copy to file”. Copy it in Base64 (.cer) format. It will be saved on your Desktop.

• Install the certificate ignoring all the alerts.

• This is how I gathered the certificate information of the URL that I was trying to access.

Now I had to make my java version to know about the certificate so that further it doesn’t refuse to recognize the URL. In this respect I must mention that I googled out that root certificate information stays by default in JDK’s \jre\lib\security location, and the default password to access is: changeit.

To view the cacerts information the following are the procedures to follow:
• Click on Start Button-->Run
• Type cmd. The command prompt opens (you may need to open it as administrator).
• Go to your Java/jreX/bin directory
• Type the following
keytool -list -keystore D:\Java\jdk1.5.0_12\jre\lib\security\cacerts
It gives the list of the current certificates contained within the keystore. It looks something like this:
C:\Documents and Settings\NeelanjanaG>keytool -list -keystore D:\Java\jdk1.5.0_12\jre\lib\security\cacerts

Enter keystore password: changeit

Keystore type: jks

Keystore provider: SUN

Your keystore contains 44 entries

verisignclass3g2ca, Mar 26, 2004, trustedCertEntry,

Certificate fingerprint (MD5): A2:33:9B:4C:74:78:73:D4:6C:E7:C1:F3:8D:CB:5C:E9

entrustclientca, Jan 9, 2003, trustedCertEntry,

Certificate fingerprint (MD5): 0C:41:2F:13:5B:A0:54:F5:96:66:2D:7E:CD:0E:03:F4

thawtepersonalbasicca, Feb 13, 1999, trustedCertEntry,

Certificate fingerprint (MD5): E6:0B:D2:C9:CA:2D:88:DB:1A:71:0E:4B:78:EB:02:41

addtrustclass1ca, May 1, 2006, trustedCertEntry,

Certificate fingerprint (MD5): 1E:42:95:02:33:92:6B:B9:5F:C0:7F:DA:D6:B2:4B:FC

verisignclass2g3ca, Mar 26, 2004, trustedCertEntry,

Certificate fingerprint (MD5): F8:BE:C4:63:22:C9:A8:46:74:8B:B8:1D:1E:4A:2B:F6
Now I had to include the previously installed certificate into the cacerts.

• For this, the following is the procedure:
keytool –import –noprompt –trustcacerts –alias ALIASNAME -file FILENAME_OF_THE_INSTALLED_CERTIFICATE -keystore PATH_TO_CACERTS_FILE -storepass PASSWORD
If you are using Java 7:
keytool –importcert –trustcacerts –alias ALIASNAME -file PATH_TO_FILENAME_OF_THE_INSTALLED_CERTIFICATE -keystore PATH_TO_CACERTS_FILE -storepass changeit
It will then add the certificate information into the cacert file.

It is the solution I found for the Exception mentioned above!!

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Nagendra

This was selected as the best answer
IvanWuIvanWu
I am sorry for my late reply ,thank you for your quick anwser ,that's helpful ,really appreciate
Rajesh OjhaRajesh Ojha
Hi All,

We are using outbound message( using Workflow Rule) and there is no certificate used in Salesforce for this purpose. Now, we are getting following error when sending outbound message in Sandbox.
javax.net.ssl.SSLPeerUnverifiedException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.pro

Eventually there is change in company for web services (SOAP/API) environment for improved security: 
Certificates will be updated (attached is GeoTrust root and intermediate cert if needed)
Deactivate SSLv3 and TLS 1.0 due to known vulnerabilities
Virtual IP addresses of the URL will be updated – note URL’s will not be changed (please advise if need specific IP’s for possible network whitelist)

Salesforce org is compatible with TLS 1.2 so rulling out 2nd resoan.  

Not sure if we need to upload certificate in saleforce org now or the change has to be made to the other end where message is getting submitted ?

Thanks,
Rajesh

Manish PathakManish Pathak
A very well written answer Nagendra. The trick worked for me and I once and for all understood the role of keystore commands to access it and import certificates from server location where handshaking could be an issue. Awesome explaination ! Thank you.
Anand H 14Anand H 14
Hello Nagendra,
              The post is really help full. I followed all the steps and resolved the issue. Thank you.
               I did the above mentioned steps in my local and I am using WLS server. Windows 10 first time it worked when I did restart my system now it is not working, when I list the cettificate able to see it but still getting the same error. please can you help. Let me know how debug the error because I already installed the certificate to keystore still I am getting the error means the server lookg some where else.