function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
chriscwharrischriscwharris 

Is salesforce appropriate platform for bespoke apps?

I've been working with Salesforce on and off for well over a year and find it a pretty decent platform to build apps. However the licence model doesn't seem to lend itself to building bespoke apps that are not "add ons" to the core clouds Salesforce offer, it just seems too expensive.

Lets say I identified a market where I see potential for a small app that might well provide benefit. I analyse the needs, review the platform and decide that Salesforce offers all I need to build that app. The hurdle is that I want to sell this to small companies or individuals that can't afford £20 or £60 per month licence fees.

With that in mind I'm already feeling that Salesforce isn't a great app development platform in general, but is fine to build apps on to extend existing clouds or for use by large organisations with big pockets. Would you agree? Are there examples of Salesforce apps online that are completely custom and are affordable? The OEM model still requires a hefty "base" charge to cover a platform charge even before you add your own charge.