function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Janis Davis 22Janis Davis 22 

Help with Process Builder Scheduled Actions!

Hello! 

I was very excited about what I read about Process Builder capabilities being better than WFRs, but I don't seem to be able to get it to work any better on scheduled actions and SF support is telling me what seems like a fairly simple Process can't be done without a development trigger. Well, I have to say that my experience with the Answers and Development Communities has always been much better than going through SF support. You people are smarter since you face the same types of business requirements the rest of SF customers and always come up with totally innovative solutions and workarounds That said, here is the issue I need help with:

USE CASE: Our sales management team wants a process put in place to ensure that our sales reps follow-up on Opportunities that are assigned to them by Inside Sales, Managers, etc.
  • Immediate action - when an Opportunity is assigned to a sales rep, they receive an HTML email alert with all the details of the Opportunity pulled in with merge fields and links they can access on their mobile devices. The action we want the sales reps to take is to go to the Opportunity and update the custom Assigned Opportunity Contact Status field value from the No Contact default value to another contact action value (i.e. Left VM, Contacted, Sent Quote, etc.) to show that they have taken an action on the assigned Opportunity. If that happens, the scheduled actions should not fire (see criteria screenshot below). I’m not sure I have the right formula for criteria #1 to trigger the scheduled actions – so any help on that will be much appreciated.
User-added image

• Scheduled Action 1 - If there has not been some customer/prospect contact when an Opportunity has been assigned to them, after 8 hours, they want the sales rep and their branch manager to receive an email alert that no Contact action has been taken on the assigned Opportunity (see screenshot below)
User-added image

• Scheduled Action 2 - If there has not been some customer/prospect contact when an Opportunity has been assigned to them, after 24 hours, they want the sales rep and their area manager and RVP to receive an email alert (see screenshot below).
User-added image

So basically I have one immediate email alert action, and two scheduled email alert actions. I have a WFR in place that sets the Date/Time when an Opportunity Ownership has been changed and assigned to a new owner in a custom field Ownership Date Change in the Opportunity record. This WFR also populates another custom field in the Opportunity for Assigned Opportunity Contact Status that defaults to the picklist value No Contact (screenshot below).

Since changing the Opportunity Owner is not considered an actually edit to the Opportunity record to drive the process forward, I’m using the custom Ownership Change Date (Date/Time) field in the Opportunity record that populates via my WFR when an Opportunity Owner has been changed.

I problem I’m having is that although the immediate action and the first scheduled action fire correctly, the second scheduled action does not fire – particularly if there have been any kind of field edit to the Opportunity record once the process starts. It could be any random field edit not the ones included in the Process criteria. SF Support is telling me that what seems like a pretty simple process won’t work in Process Builder due to product limitations and would require a development Trigger and I’m not a developer. There has got to be a way or some workaround to make this process work. I’m hoping some of you very smart gurus out there have some ideas/suggestions and/or workaround that can make this process work.

Any help and/or advice will be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

DixitDixit
>Could you please also add an image on your WFR?, maybe it is editing your custom date when other fields are updated and not only owner.

>Why didn't you use a time-related WFR? 
Sure - screenshots below. 

Ownership Change Date/Time WFR
User-added image

Ownership Change Date/Time WFR - Field Update1
User-added image
Ownership Change Date/Time WFR - Field Update2
User-added image

Opportunity WFR Fields View
User-added image
Also, the reason I didn't use time-based WFRs for this process is because I was told that Process Builder was better and WFRs would work.
DixitDixit
try changing the "Evaluation Criteria" to "created, and any time it's edited to subsequently meet criteria" 

And if owner should not change, add a criteria to: ownership change date is null.
(if is usual to change ownership of an opportunity, leave it as it is already)
Thanks for your response Dixit. It's fairly common for Opportunity ownership to change based on workload allocation and sales rep turnover. Does that make a difference in your advice on this?

DixitDixit
No, but i will definitely change for "created, and any time it's edited to subsequently meet criteria"