function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Adeline MooreAdeline Moore 

Can I change the email field in the User Object to a formula field?

I would like to create a formula on the User object in the email field to auto fill using my custome formula. Is this possible?
Best Answer chosen by Adeline Moore
Roshni RahulRoshni Rahul
Hi Adeline,

I hope your requirement is to populate the formula field value to the email standard field of the user object.
Yes. You can do it by using process builder.

Please follow the steps below.

1. Navigate Set up -> process builder -> new
2. Enter the process name and select "A record changes"

User-added image

3. Specify the object name as User and select the start process as when a record is created or edited

User-added image

4. Define the criteria and select No criteria -just execute the actions

User-added image
5. In the field values, select field as Email and Type Reference. From the Value , search for the formula field name. i.e. National Email

User-added image

6. Activate the process builder.

Then your output will be 

User-added image

Its working fine for me. Hope it works. If my answer is informative, please mark it as best answer.

Regards
Roshni

All Answers

SalesFORCE_enFORCErSalesFORCE_enFORCEr
No, you cannot but you can create a custom formula field and use it instead.
Roshni RahulRoshni Rahul
Hi Adeline,

I hope your requirement is to populate the formula field value to the email standard field of the user object.
Yes. You can do it by using process builder.

Please follow the steps below.

1. Navigate Set up -> process builder -> new
2. Enter the process name and select "A record changes"

User-added image

3. Specify the object name as User and select the start process as when a record is created or edited

User-added image

4. Define the criteria and select No criteria -just execute the actions

User-added image
5. In the field values, select field as Email and Type Reference. From the Value , search for the formula field name. i.e. National Email

User-added image

6. Activate the process builder.

Then your output will be 

User-added image

Its working fine for me. Hope it works. If my answer is informative, please mark it as best answer.

Regards
Roshni

This was selected as the best answer
OK I built it just like you said but the Standard field is required on the user page payouts. In order for the Process to work I will need to eliminate the "required" field right? Should i clone the page layout and make the field not required for the process to trigger and auto fill?
Ok I added a field to the User record called NATIONAL Login this is my formula field. I decided not to use the standard email field. the formula seems to be working but when a user does not have a canine it puts 2 (..) in a row is there a code that if there is no canine name the extra "." will not be out in the formula?
Roshni RahulRoshni Rahul
There is one option, i.e by making the canine name required. Otherwise it will show as 2  (..).
Do you think that will effect their loggin in? I can not make the field required as some users will not have a canine team member. But I know they use this as thier user name to log into the production instance, so I dont know if two ".." in a row in the login name will cause issues.