function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Victor EcheverríaVictor Echeverría 

Default account for cases created through email-to-case

What is the default account to which cases that do not find a match in the contacts email field are assigned to? Or are they not assigned to any account? 
Buddy ZapataBuddy Zapata
Mine are assigned to a particular account by default since it's a required field. But I've been looking for why it assigns to that account, can't find any reason why. And for some crazy reason Workflow rules don't have access to change the Account field? So, 2 big questions...
Ravi Dutt SharmaRavi Dutt Sharma
If no matching Contacts are found, Email-to-Case will leave the 'Contact' and 'Account' fields blank, but will populate the fields 'Web Email' and 'Web Name.'
Buddy ZapataBuddy Zapata
Not how my instance works at all; for Cases, the Account Name field (which associates the case with an Account object) is most definitely a required field.

I solved the problem yesterday by creating a Process in Process Builder that sets my desired Account for new Cases. But I still have no idea how it set the default account before.
sowmya Inturi 9sowmya Inturi 9
Hi,
It compares the source email Id with the existing contact's email Id. If any match found it fetches the contact and parent account and displays in the case.

Thank you,
Sowmya.

Buddy ZapataBuddy Zapata
That does nothing to explain what I asked - what is the DEFAULT? For example an organization that does not use Contacts.
sowmya Inturi 9sowmya Inturi 9
Hi,
If the organization that does not use Contacts, the case doesn't display anything in Account and Contact fields. It leaves them empty.
Even if they are required fields it doesn't show any error until you edit the case.

Thanks,
Sowmya.
Buddy ZapataBuddy Zapata
Account is a required field (associated object) for Cases, so your answer makes no sense. Required fields cannot be blank; think about how relational databases work.

Again, it is a required field, and so yes it MUST assign a value on creation of new Cases.

And again, how is that default assigned, if there are no Salesforce settings/workflow etc. assigning it? How does it determine the default? (which is most definitely NOT empty).
cruttley2cruttley2
I agreee with "sowmya Inturi 9". Account is only a required field on Case on the user interface. It is not a required field at the database level. As for why your system was originally assigning an Account, it may be for a number of reasons. For example, if your email address was a Contact on an account. Could also be a trigger assigning it.