function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Shannon Andreas 21Shannon Andreas 21 

Need a validation rule that will trigger when lookup field does not match oppty field

Hello Friends!

I am in need of some help. I have been wracking my brains trying to figure out how to create a validation rule that will work for the below scenario.

Desired steps and outcome:

1. Enters new oppty & saves.
2. Enters products (w pricing) using Products related list.
3. Amount field (on Oppty in $) auto-calculated based on products and pricing entered.
4. Contract Terms entered into related object called Contract Terms.
5. Contract Terms Total field (Rollup Summary on Oppty in $) auto-calculated based on Terms entered.
6. If Contract Terms Total does not equal Amount, validation rule should trigger.

Sounds like it should be easy, but it is not because the error would continue to fire every time I add another Term. Unless the Term equaled the amount on the Contract Term entry.

NOTE: There can be multiple Contract Terms that should all roll up into the Contract Terms Total field.

I hope this makes sense? Please let me know if you can help.

Thanks!

Shannon

VamsiVamsi
Hi Shannon,

Would you like to trigger validation errors on Contract Terms records right ?

When a user tries to enter contract terms then it should have a total value equals the amount on opp right? else it should thrown an error 

Please correct me, If I'm wrong on the above, So that I can take a look at it further
Shannon Andreas 21Shannon Andreas 21
Thank you for responding Vamshi!

So yes and no. I want the validation rule to kick in if the "rollup" of the contract terms is not equal to the amount. See my issue? If a user enters an amount and then enters one contract term at a time, the validation will trigger on the very first one if it does not match the amount. Is there a way to delay the calculation of the rollup summary field?

Thanks,
Shannon