function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ryan keidryan keid 

Downlaod and distribute my package that I created in my salesforce developer edition

I had a great experience where I created many visualforce pages, components and classes.

Now I want other salesforce to use those and I understand that the best way would be to create a managed package with test cases and then upload to app exchange.

But I don't want to create test cases because only my friend and some other developers will be using this package. I can directly communicate with them. solve error directly or help them with setup.

Is there any way I can bundle my code together, actions, classes, components and VF pages and send a link of github repo or some link where they can download and install my created package and get all the items in one go.

I want something that is just a little more handy than writing test cases, going through security review and then creating a managed package and uploading in app exchange.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Best Answer chosen by ryan keid
Darshan R ChhajedDarshan R Chhajed
To best of my knowledge, if you want to deploy anything in Salesforce environment as a package, you need test classes. 

If you have credentials of the destination org. Simply build that org with your code base via ANT. In few minutes your code will be deployed without worrying about test classes. 

Please note - AppExchange is like marketplace so it is not at all necessary to publish apps on it. You can directly distribute apps. 

Hope this helps. 

All Answers

If Apex code is involved in your package you have to make sure that test coverage is above 75%. 

If your app doesn't deal with data from an org then simply create a site-user s for your friends and they can see your app via the community. 

P.S-  If you don't wish to distribute your app to a larger audience you don't need a review process. You can distribute managed package privately but Test classes are must of it.  

ryan keidryan keid
hi Darshan,

Thank you for your reply, I understand that if I want to distribute managed packages I need test cases.

and just to get a clear idea,

I have an option to create the same components and actions to my friends salesforce, as he will allow me to login and do all that so that is an option and I won't have to write test cases for that.

my question is can I create a package or some collection of all those things, unmanaged package or something. maybe a zip download and upload to create all those components to other salesforce org.

I have seen people distribute their code via github is there is any thing I can do to create a bundle and send him that he can download and install.

clearifications :
It will be an unmanaged package.
I want to download here and upload there.

Is going through AppExchange or test cases are necessary even for download and upload to a friend ?
To best of my knowledge, if you want to deploy anything in Salesforce environment as a package, you need test classes. 

If you have credentials of the destination org. Simply build that org with your code base via ANT. In few minutes your code will be deployed without worrying about test classes. 

Please note - AppExchange is like marketplace so it is not at all necessary to publish apps on it. You can directly distribute apps. 

Hope this helps. 

This was selected as the best answer
ryan keidryan keid

Just a last question, I hope that's not much trouble.

can you provide me any links or leads regarding this line "Simply build that org with your code base via ANT". as I am new to salesforce development and have no idea what building an org using codebase means, I mean i can search what is ANT and anything is .

Thanks again for taking time to solve my query.