function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
EWilsonEWilson 

How to setup a workflow rule / trigger / process builder to update Profile picklist on User Object, based on a field setting of a custom object?

Hi,

I have a custom object which has a status field picklist. This custom object contains records about role applications and is therefore linked to a contact record. I'm trying to determine If I can setup a workflow rule on this custom object, based on the criteria of the status field, in order to update the Profile picklist on the User object.

First I''m trying to determine if this is even possible - that is to update a user record in the User Object via workflow from a custom object? I've read mixed answers to this question. If it is possible, would you be able to make any recommendations for the simplest solution to implement?

The problem I'm facing is that a custom activate button on our custom object, produces a javascript error because the user's commuinity login profile has not been definined first in the User object.

As we have different user types, it is not a good idea for us to set a default global profile type on the user object, so a workflow rule is required.

I hope that all makes sense. Please let me know if you want me to make anything clearer.

Many thanks. 
Aparna Hegde 1Aparna Hegde 1
Hi Ewilson,
You can update user object from custom object if the two are related. In the description above, I can see custom object and contact are related. How are custom object and user object related?
Thanks,
Aparna