function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Alen HusanovicAlen Husanovic 

HttpRequest retrying request in response to handshake failure / PKIX path building failed

Hello, 

I'm trying to make a callout to the Web Service on the remote location(the port number is 9233). The web service is protected with SSL, and anything that I did so far I got the following exception:

System.HttpRequest retrying request in response to handshake failure: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

System.CalloutException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failedsun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target

The certificate chain:

User-added image

The root certificate(GeoTrust Global CA) is trusted by Salesforce however the intermediate certificate (RapidSSL SHA 256 CA) is not on the list of trusted certificates. I tried to import the security certificate chain into Salesforce and then assigning that certificate to remote domain but that did not make any changes. 

Is there any way that I can confirm that the exceptions that we get are related to SSL setup on the remote machine and to the Salesforce setup?

Looking forward to any help on this issue.
NagendraNagendra (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Alen, Still, if the problem persists may I suggest you please raise a case with salesforce support team which might be the best option.

You may reach salesforce support team below: Thanks,
Nagendra.

SWATI KUSHWAHASWATI KUSHWAHA
Hi Alen Husanovic,

did your problem resolve?

Alen HusanovicAlen Husanovic
After more than 3 years, let me get back on this issue. 

It was an issue on the remote site where SSL certificate was not set up correctly and it was not an issue on Salesforce Side.  Thanks to @Nagendra on related articles. 

Thank you,
Alen