function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Darrell GallegosDarrell Gallegos 

Force.com Canvas vs iFrame

Greetings all. I am new to the Developer world and working through the material and practicing. Taking place in the solution of requirements at Staples, I have come across a confusing topic. At least for me it is.

There is a lot of intergration between our Salesforce instance and various applications. The topic of creating a pleasant user experiene and efficient interaction between a home grown application and our Salesforce instance. The proposed option is to integrate this interface through an iFrame soultion. 

My questions is what is the difference/benefits between using an iFrame or incorporating this home grown app into Salesforce via Force.com Canvas?

I would really appreciate if somebody could explain this in plain english. I keep reading the material but it is a little out of my knowledge level and I would truly like to understand it.

Thanks!
JLA.ovhJLA.ovh
Canvas integration has lots of benefits
  • Security
Your connected app can verify a signature that is sent by Salesforce each time a user want to access your connected app
  • ​Context
With the signature, your receive contextual information related to your user, to your current record... No need to do an API call to retrieve this. This is a way to ensure that the access is from a Salesforce authenticated session
  • Session
You retrive with the signed request a session Id that you can reuse to make API calls, with the same identity as the user. No need to start an oAuth flow or something like that
  • Interactions
You can interact with the Salesforce user interface, for instance to open a tab in the console. It is real UI-to-UI integration