function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RadDude89RadDude89 

Updating parent record using child record

Hi,

I'm looking into creating a process in which Salesforce will update the parent record if a field on the child has the value 'Rejected'.

So we have a parent object - Offer and child - Offer SIte.
Then if the field Status__c on Offer Site = 'Rejected', I want to apply the same value to a field called Status on Offer automatically once the field on Offer site is updated.

Does anyone know how to do this?
I'm not too sure on how I can write this into trigger as my experience with triggers is basic

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Best Answer chosen by RadDude89
Dayakar.DDayakar.D
Hi Rad,
You can use process builder to update parent record from child.
Create a process builder on child object and update parent object, here I am using account and contact.
Created process builder on contact and updating account status field when contact status is rejected.
Please find below screenshots for reference.
User-added image

User-added image

User-added image

Please let me know, if any info needed.

BestRegards,
Dayakar.D

All Answers

Dayakar.DDayakar.D
Hi Rad,
You can use process builder to update parent record from child.
Create a process builder on child object and update parent object, here I am using account and contact.
Created process builder on contact and updating account status field when contact status is rejected.
Please find below screenshots for reference.
User-added image

User-added image

User-added image

Please let me know, if any info needed.

BestRegards,
Dayakar.D

This was selected as the best answer
RadDude89RadDude89

Hi Dayakar,

Thanks for the response - I've tried to create this using the process builder but the field that I need to update on the parent object is not available for selection - it actually looks like there are a lot of fields from that object which can't be selected.

Is there something I'm missing on permissions or settings which means that field is not available?

Dayakar.DDayakar.D
Rad you are selecting parent object lookup so you are getting all fields in that object, but we should select only name/id of the object not lookup.
please find below screenshot for reference.

User-added image

In the above screenshot Account Backup> is lookup if you select it will show all fields in that object,here we should select Account Backup (your parent object name).

Please let me know, if you need more info.
BestRegards,
Dayakar.D
RadDude89RadDude89
Aw ok - I got it working now - thanks for all your help!
Nagarjuna Reddy.PNagarjuna Reddy.P
hii Dayakar,
   I followed the above steps to update parent record when child record is updated and i created the process builder and it is activated but the parent status field is not updating what may be the reason please help me.
Thank you
Manuel Bustos 9Manuel Bustos 9
I have a similar problem, i have Opportunity object and proposal that is child of opportunity, if i try to create process builder that everytime the proposal state change to update the opportunity stage, i dont have the opportunity stage as an update field. However i can do it with workflow rule. Any idea?
Avanthi Reddy CholletiAvanthi Reddy Cholleti
I have a similar issue wherein i am trying to update parent record's website field upon updating child record's email but while adding the action i am not exactly getting the object.
And if account id is selected related fields of account are not displaying .
Can you ppl help me to solve this?kindy gothrough the respective ink (https://ap15.lightning.force.com/processui/processui.app?retURL=%2Fui%2Fsetup%2FSetup%3Fsetupid%3DWorkflow&setupid=ProcessAutomation" target="_blank)
Murthy AlluriMurthy Alluri
Hello Got the similar requirement updating Parent(Opprtunity) record field when child record field is updated Via Approval Process, but parent record was not updating, Cant we do Approval Process Field update (Child record) along with Process Builder Field update (Parent Record) ???
Murthy AlluriMurthy Alluri
Above is Working , on Approval process field update I need to check 'Re-evaluated Workflow Rules after Field Change' , Thanks.
Hayley CliffHayley Cliff
Thank you for this Murthy, I was stuck as to why my process wasn't working, this got it working for me too :)