function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Glenn Nyhan 54Glenn Nyhan 54 

Cross Object Formula Solution

Not sure why I'm having trouble with this but here goes. I am trying to create a Cross Object formula which is a simple one, but don't seem to be getting it right.

I have two related objects the Contact object with a related object called Board Member Tracking. On the Board Member Tracking object there is a section called Member Position and Service Duration which has 10 individual picklists, one for each type of Board Member. I've been asked to make the contents of these fields visible on the Contact object, so they can be used in creating List Views that show those results. I can't seem to get this to work. Can anyone help with the solution and an example of how this can be executed as a Cross Object formula. Thanks in advance. 

Best Answer chosen by Glenn Nyhan 54
Swimming through thecloudSwimming through thecloud
Hello Glenn,
If there is a lookup relationship between the contact and Guest student information object you cannot populate the Arrival date on contact with formula field.Best option is to create a process builder on guest student information object and in that process builder you can action to field update(GuestStudent__r.ArrivalDate__c). It worked for me. Let me know if you have any questions.

All Answers

HARSHIL U PARIKHHARSHIL U PARIKH
Can you tell the API names for this Board Member Tracking object and it fields. What is the relationship beteen two or send some screen shots..
Thanks!
Glenn Nyhan 54Glenn Nyhan 54
Hi Govind,

Thanks for you're reply. My boss has decided she wanted it done another way, so we have abandon this. But I do have another question. Is it not possible to create a formula field from the Parent object to the Child object? I have a Contact related object called Guest Students Information. On that object is a date field called Arrival Date. I wanted to pull that date field info over to the Contact object so I could use it in a List View. But the Guest Students Information object is not shown when I try to create a Cross object formula. Am I assuming correctly that a Cross object formula field can only be set on the Child object, and not the Parent?

Thanks for your help.

Warmly,

Glenn
Swimming through thecloudSwimming through thecloud
Hello Glenn,
If there is a lookup relationship between the contact and Guest student information object you cannot populate the Arrival date on contact with formula field.Best option is to create a process builder on guest student information object and in that process builder you can action to field update(GuestStudent__r.ArrivalDate__c). It worked for me. Let me know if you have any questions.
This was selected as the best answer