function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sfdc  novicesfdc novice 

Workaround for Lookup fields limit reached

Hi,

We have a custom object on which we have already created 40 Lookup fields,now there is a requirement to create an additional Lookup Field,
Can anyone let me know the workarounds for this solution  other than raising a case with salesforce to increase the limit.

Thanks.

NagendraNagendra (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Novice,

If you exceed the maximum number of lookup fields all you can do is raise a case with Salesforce support team.Wherein they will be able to increase the limit.As you want to increase the number of lookup fields without raising a case with support team might not be possible as of now.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Nagendra

HARSHIL U PARIKHHARSHIL U PARIKH
Here is something I can think of which may work for you or may be not.
First identify do you really need an lookup field or you just wanted to have that value populated. Here is what I have mean,

Let's say you have object A, Object B, and Object C.
On object C you have lookup field for object B and Object A (means C is looking up to B and A)

If you really need to have look field from C to A then there is nothing you can do accept raising a case but lets say if you just wanted to have  name of object A on object C then use the HYPERLINK functionality.
example:
Object A = Account, Obejct B = Contacts, Object C = Credits__c
Account: Acme, Inc.
Credits: c-1

On C-1 you have two lookup fields called Account and Contact. You can save Account lookup field by simply pulling Contact's Account with link it will appear just as it appears with lookup field. It would be clickable.
rakesh subbisettirakesh subbisetti

Hi Harshil,

I too have similar issue, my Opportunity object ran out of Look up fields(40) and around 11 of them are on User object and 8 each on Account and contact. Can you please help in finding some alternatives. Also, can you please elaborate on Hyperlink approach?
Robert Wambold 10Robert Wambold 10

We have the same issue on a custom object. I reached out to our AE as per the instructions and she said we need to buy more Saleforce Licenses? We already have almost 900. 

Salesforce Technical support says: "Please be advised that this feature limit increase has NO ADDITIONAL COST or FREE OF CHARGE, however, this type of request is not handled by the Support Team but your Account Executive. Please see this article for your reference:"

https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=000331427&type=1&language=en_US&mode=1

Nicholas KilduffNicholas Kilduff

Robert, you don't need to pay for the additional 10 possible lookups (up to 50 hard limit).  Assuming you currently have 40 and need the additional 10 (or less) allotment, the SKU for affecting that change is a $0 charge.  Your account signer does need to sign for a $0 quote, though, so that we can add it to your contract.  Once that is signed for, the provision of additional lookups is completed.