function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Chiho SullivanChiho Sullivan 

Conditionally Required Field for Mulitiple Picklist Not Working in Non-Profit Starter Pack?

I have two multiple picklists in the Contacts Object.  One for "Contact Type" and one for "Applicant Status".  I need a rule that says anytime Contact Type of "Training Applicant" is selected then Applicant Status must be completed.  When I check the syntax for the formula I created, the system tells me that there is a multiple pick list error and that multiple pick lists are only supported with certain functions.  I watched a salesforce video that proves the validation can be done although the demo used the Accounts object and not the Contacts Object; not sure if this makes a difference or not.  The video is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5otBBMmDhyk). 

The formula I used is below but I also tried several other iterations to no avail.  Does anyone know if the validation cannot be created because it is in the Contacts Object?  Is it because I am using the Non-Profit Starter Pack?  Any ideas?  Workarounds?

ISPICKVAL (Contact Type, "Training Applicant")
&&
Text (Applicant Status) = ""
Best Answer chosen by Chiho Sullivan
Tech support provided me with the following code to force use of a multi-picklist field based on the input of another multi-picklist field.  works for me though he wasn't able to tell me whey this code worked versus the one on the video.

AND(
INCLUDES(Contact_Type__c, "Training Applicant"),
ISBLANK( TEXT( Application_Status__c ))
)

All Answers

Irvin Gustavo  Madrid GranadosIrvin Gustavo Madrid Granados
Try..
AND(
  INCLUDES(Contact_Type__c,"Training Applicant"),
  ISBLANK(Applicant_Status__c)
)
I get the same error; when i click tell me more it takes me to a generic manual on creating formulas...

Error: Field Application_Status__c is a picklist field. Picklist fields are only supported in certain functions. Tell me more
Did you use the the formule like mine? Because my fields are multiselect picklist and works fine.
Be sure to copy and paste the formula and only replace the name of the fields.
I copied it exactly as it was and made sure the fields names were correct.  that is the error i get. is it because i am using the non-profit pack?  i can't imagine so but this or the fact that it is in the contact oject is the only thing i can think of

Tech support provided me with the following code to force use of a multi-picklist field based on the input of another multi-picklist field.  works for me though he wasn't able to tell me whey this code worked versus the one on the video.

AND(
INCLUDES(Contact_Type__c, "Training Applicant"),
ISBLANK( TEXT( Application_Status__c ))
)
This was selected as the best answer