function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Cassim JumaCassim Juma 

Create a button to send email of certai fileds on a Page

Hi Developemnt,

I am new to Selasforce and I want to create a button that send email of an opportunity to an approver.
After creating an opportunity, some details like Name of Opportunity, Start and end date needs to be emailed to be entered in another system.

Regards,
Cassim
Best Answer chosen by Cassim Juma
SwarnaSankhaSinghSwarnaSankhaSingh
Hi Cassim,

There are certainly more than one ways to achive your requirement. We could use an Approval Process or we could use a Workflow Email Alert. We could also have a button on the Opportunity record which when clicked and immediately send out an email to the predefined email ID using a predefined email template which is why I had started with asking you to create the template you wish to use.

I am glad you feel comfortable to figure out a solution yourself; if you still need help with a solution then do let me know.

If you feel that your question was answered then do flag the appropriate answer as the solution to your query.

Kind Regards,
Swarna.

All Answers

Hi Cassim,

What exactly do you want to accomplish here:
  • Do you just want to send an email from the Opportunity record to an external Email Address? Or,
  • You want to Submit the Opportunity record for Approval in Salesforce.com and in the process send an email to the assigned approver with the details of the Opportunity?
Kind Regards,
Swarna.
Cassim JumaCassim Juma
Hi SwarnaSankhaSingh,

Thanks for your quick response.

Once a BD/Sales person has filled the Opportunity details, I would like him/her to send the page as an email, because those details needs captured and entered in another system for project management. I dont mind if approval is skipped, but it would also be great if an approver is involved.

I have seen that I can create Global/Object Actions, but I am yet to understand how I can put a the action in button that will just do it on a click. Or suggest the BEST way I can do it. 

Best Regards,
Cassim
Hi Cassim,

As I do not know your SFDC Skillset, lets try to take a more interactive approach.

Do you know how to create an Email Template? Once you have created the template, please share a screenshot of the email template you create.

Kind Regards,
Swarna.

Cassim JumaCassim Juma
Hi Swarma,

User-added image
This is a sample approval template created
Cassim JumaCassim Juma
This is completed as below:
User-added image
Cassim JumaCassim Juma
Hi Swarma,
This has been very informative and I think I can use email template to do this with or without the approval process. The main aim is just to send an email of the opportunity to update our projects team the details about an opporunity that has a high probability of taking place.

Regards,
Cassim

Hi Cassim,

There are certainly more than one ways to achive your requirement. We could use an Approval Process or we could use a Workflow Email Alert. We could also have a button on the Opportunity record which when clicked and immediately send out an email to the predefined email ID using a predefined email template which is why I had started with asking you to create the template you wish to use.

I am glad you feel comfortable to figure out a solution yourself; if you still need help with a solution then do let me know.

If you feel that your question was answered then do flag the appropriate answer as the solution to your query.

Kind Regards,
Swarna.
This was selected as the best answer
Cassim JumaCassim Juma
Thanks Swarma.
I will flag the answer.
Do you have a trailhead for "a button on the Opportunity record which when clicked and immediately send out"? I will also look at that and choose whatever works for me.

Thanks for your swift responses.

Regards,
Cassim
Hi Cassim,

I am not sure if there is a Trailhead for this specific requirement as it is something we commonly refer to as URL Hacks. Let me see if I can find any document related to this and share the link; in case, I do not find a ready document, I will share the steps with you shortly.

Kind Regards,
Swarna.
Cassim JumaCassim Juma
Thanks Swarma,

Hi Cassim,

Can you please send me a complete screenshot of the page where you have the Email Template details? By complete, I mean the full face of the browser with the address bar.

Kind Regards,
Swarna.

Cassim JumaCassim Juma
User-added image
Cassim JumaCassim Juma
Hi Swarna,

See above... us requested. This i have done on my Developer Instance and once it works, I will do it on my sandbox, then Prod.

Regards,
Cassim
Cassim JumaCassim Juma
Hi Swarna,

I have figured out I can also use the process builder to make it even more robust. I will create the Template, the use Workflows to check the source of the opportunity and send to respective Project Manager.

I am creating that now.

Regards,
Cassim
Hi Cassim,

Very nice.

You can use the Process Builder Process (which is alinged with the new Lightning Experience) or you may use a Workflow Rule also to send an email alert. Since you are planning on sending it to the Project Manager associated with the Opportunity, just wondering if this would be a simple email field which you will reference or the Project Managers would be SFDC Users in which case you can create a Lookup relationship to the User object on the Opportunity record for the same.

Let me know how it goes.

Kind Regards,
Swarna.
Cassim JumaCassim Juma
Hi Swarna,

The Project Managers are not SFDC users, they are external. The emails will be location specific that is, for example, if the opportunity in Kenya, then it sends the email to the Kenya PM etc. 

Regards,
Cassim
Hi Cassim,

Well in that case it would be a good idea to create an Email field on the Opportunity object and name it as Project Manager's Email so that you can reference this field directly in the Workflow Email alert.

Kind Regards,
Swarna.
Cassim JumaCassim Juma
Hi Swarna,

I hope you are well. I am looking at a way to change my Forecasts to be based on shedule rather than close date. Would you know how I can do this?

Regards,
Cassim

Hi Cassim,

I am doing well; thank you for asking. Hope you are doing well yourself.

I am not sure I completely understand your question here but have you taken a shot at the Forecast Settings available under Setup -> Customize -> Forecast -> Forecasts Settings?

Kind Regards,
Swarna.