function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ido Greenbaum 10Ido Greenbaum 10 

Case.Email_Thread merge field not working in WorkFlow rule - Known Issue and workarounds

Hi Developers Community, 

We have an issue with the Case.Email_Thread merge field not populating as part of a workflow rule, which SalesForce support admitted as a known issue. We currently awaits the developers to provide a bug fix, or a Known Issue reference we can follow. 

SalesForce Support suggested replicating the 'Case.Thread_ID' to a custom field, and place it on the Case Page Layout, thinking that if it would be visible for the workflow rule, it might populate the 'Case.Email_Thread'. We tried that, but unfurtunately, this doesn't work. 

I am seeking for a workaround. Basically, our business requirement is to auto-close a case after 3 days of inactivity, as part of a WorkFlow Rule, which emails the customer with an Email Template that needs to include the 'Case.Email_Thread', so the customer receives the full context to which the email alert refers to. 

For the time being, we added the 'Subject' and 'Description' case fields to be merged in the Email Template, but that's not ideal: 

User-added image

Would it be possible to replicate the 'Case.Email_Thread' to a Custom Field using 'Formula'? I couln't find any reference for the 'Case.Email_Thread'. 

Thakn you, 

Ido. 

Thank you, 
​Ido. 

SandhyaSandhya (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Ido Greenbaum ,

I tried to research your problem and found this.

The Email Thread merge field is not included in the email when generated from a workflow rule. When a workflow rule on Cases generates an email alert, it cannot reference other Activities; it can only reference information from the Case itself. 

The workaround would be to click the "Send an Email" button from the Case itself. When sending an email from this button, the Email Thread can be included in the email template. 

If this helps you please mark it as solved so that it will make available for others as a solution.

Thanks and Regards
Sandhya

Ido Greenbaum 10Ido Greenbaum 10
Thanks for the reply Sandhya. 

Unfurtunately, the suggested workaround is not valid, as it requires the Support Agent to manually send the email, which is missing the whole point of automation. 
Again, the business use case is to send an email to the customer after 3 days of inacitivity, notifying that the case is closed, and including the whole Email Thread for the customer to understand the context. 

Please let me know if you can think of any other workarounds.

Thank you, 
Ido.