function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mohan Raj 33Mohan Raj 33 

How to reduce the size of the this formula in the formula field?

Hi, I have the formula to be calculated the date difference(interms of hour) in between two Date/time fields but I have only calculated the number of hour in a day is to be in the 9 AM - 9 PM i.e 12 hours per day only the formula calculated and the  calculated days are weekdays not weekendsin a week.By here I seperated the past and future days compare to the NOW() value the future days are to be shhowing the result with negative sign answer .So as a statement in above it's should be provide the output correctly. and the if I seleceted to the Calculating date is a week end days like saturday and sunday it's given to the  previous week time (if the date difference is week) + NOW() 's value of time to the calculated  from the 9 AM and if the week end is to be  small to compare to the date difference (just like NOW() is a monday and Calculated date is a yesterday of sunday, saturday like days difference is 2, 3) in a week it's only showing the value of the NOW() value to be calculated to the time from 9 AM. Here the formula, 
IF((MOD(DATEVALUE( Calculating_Date__c )-DATE(1996,01,01), 7) < 5),
 (IF((NOW() > Calculating_Date__c),
 ((ROUND(12*(
(5*FLOOR((TODAY()-DATE(1996,01,01))/7) +
MIN(5, 
    MOD(TODAY()-DATE(1996,01,01), 7) +
    MIN(1, 24/12*(MOD(NOW()-DATETIMEVALUE('1996-01-01 12:00:00'), 1)))
))
-
(5*FLOOR((DATEVALUE( Calculating_Date__c )-DATE(1996,01,01))/7) +
MIN(5, 
    MOD(DATEVALUE( Calculating_Date__c )-DATE(1996,01,01), 7) +
    MIN(1, 24/12*(MOD( Calculating_Date__c -DATETIMEVALUE('1996-01-01 12:00:00'), 1)))
))
), 0))
+
IF( (21 > (VALUE(MID(RIGHT((TEXT(  NOW() + 0.2291)),9),0,2)))) || (9 < (VALUE(MID(RIGHT((TEXT(  NOW() + 0.2291)),9),0,2)))) , 
 (VALUE(MID(RIGHT((TEXT(  NOW() + 0.2291)),9),0,2)) - 9), Null)),

((ROUND(12*(
MIN(5, 
))
-
(5*FLOOR((DATEVALUE( Calculating_Date__c )-DATE(1996,01,01))/7) +
MIN(5, 
    MOD(DATEVALUE( Calculating_Date__c )-DATE(1996,01,01), 7) +
    MIN(1, 24/12*(MOD( Calculating_Date__c -DATETIMEVALUE('1996-01-01 12:00:00'), 1)))
))
), 0))
-
IF( (21 > (VALUE(MID(RIGHT((TEXT(  NOW() + 0.2291)),9),0,2)))) || (9 < (VALUE(MID(RIGHT((TEXT(  NOW() + 0.2291)),9),0,2)))) , 
 (VALUE(MID(RIGHT((TEXT(  NOW() + 0.2291)),9),0,2)) - 9), Null)))),

IF((NOW() >  Calculating_Date__c ),
(((
 (NOW() -  Calculating_Date__c ) * 5 -
 (MOD(DATEVALUE(Calculating_Date__c) - DATE(1970,1,4),7) - MOD(TODAY() - DATE(1970,1,4),7)) * 2
) / 7 -
IF(MOD(TODAY() - DATE(1970,1,4),7) = 6,1,0) -
IF(MOD( DATEVALUE(Calculating_Date__c) - DATE(1970,1,4),7) = 0,1,0))*12
+
(VALUE(MID(RIGHT((TEXT(  NOW() + 0.2291)),9),0,2)) - 9)),
((
 (MOD(DATEVALUE(Calculating_Date__c) - DATE(1970,1,4),7) - MOD(TODAY() - DATE(1970,1,4),7)) * 2
) / 7 -
-
(VALUE(MID(RIGHT((TEXT(  NOW() + 0.2291)),9),0,2)) - 9)))

here what is the problem means the formula size is 5002 charector in time of compiling so it's provide the error to the formula sizeis big it's not to be allow to save the formula so please give the solution to reduce the size of the formula to be rectified this error "Compiled formula is too big to execute (5,002 characters). Maximum size is 5,000 characters".For answer's thanks in advance.
Best Answer chosen by Mohan Raj 33
Rowallim TechnologyRowallim Technology
@Mohan
here i am providing you the details which will help You.

Formula Field exceeds maximum number of characters

The code in a Formula Field can exceed the maximum number of characters allowed. Learn the two ways this can happen, below. 

1. The code in a Formula Field can exceed the maximum number of characters allowed in two ways:

Directly in the Formula Field's characters (3900).
In the overall size of the Formula after other included Formula Fields are factored in (5000) bytes.

2. The latter of those problems can result from the formula (code) of other formulas being inserted where those other formula fields are included. For example:

Field A says "Total_Amount * .9"
Field B says "IF (Field_A__c = 0)..."
Then behind the scenes, B is expanded to say "IF ((Total_Amount * .9) = 0)..." because Formula_A's formula is put into Formula_B, not Formula_A's result

Resolution 
What to do if you run into either limit

1. The smaller character limit (3900) can be remedied by splitting the formula into 2 fields. Create another formula field and break out some part of the code into that one. Then call Formula_A within Formula_B. Each can have up to 3900 characters.

2. The trickier case is when a formula field that refers to other formula fields (that may in turn refer to even more formula fields) results in compounded code which exceeds the 5000 bytes limit. In any edition, the whole combination of formula can be scrutinized to see if there is anything that can be reduced or eliminated from the string of code. Any small part might have a ripple effect and significantly reduce the overall size.

3. In Enterprise (EE) or Unlimited Edition (UE) Workflow can be used to help out.

Here's how: 

1. Create a new hidden field (not visible on any Page Layout).
2. Create a new Workflow Rule for the object which triggers when record is Created or Edited and make the Criteria something that is always true, like Owner Name <not equals> NULL.
3. Make an Immediate Workflow Action which does a Field Update to the newly created (hidden) field. 
4. Click Use a formula to set new value.
5. For the formula, enter the name of the first Formula Field (Formula_A). Any time a record in this object is created or edited, Formula_A's results will be calculated and copied into this new. regular field. Then refer to this field instead of Formula_A within Formula_B.
Best Practice: For best results on multi-level nested Formula Field references, pick a spot near the middle of the chain of Formula Fields to split the overall code in half. This will reduce the size more quickly. Please see the Tipsfor reducing formula size

4. Apex code could also be used in (EE, UE) to trigger an update to a field on the record. This provides even more powerful and flexible options, including the capability to assign values based on procedural algorithms (e.g., a double-declining balance) and to reference values beyond the record/object that is being evaluated in a formula or workflow, similar to the VLOOKUP() function--that can be employed on a validation rule but not in a custom formula field.

Hope this will help you.
please mark it best answer if it helps.
Thanx

All Answers

Hi Mohan
The maximum limits for the formula field is 3900 characters and size of the formula field is 5000 bytes.
Regards
Mohan Raj 33Mohan Raj 33
@Rowallim Technology  Thanks for your reply.I have reduced as you're say like the spaces but the character size is not reduced it's still 5,002 that's why here I am struggling there is no any other way to solve this solution sir?
@Mohan
here i am providing you the details which will help You.

Formula Field exceeds maximum number of characters

The code in a Formula Field can exceed the maximum number of characters allowed. Learn the two ways this can happen, below. 

1. The code in a Formula Field can exceed the maximum number of characters allowed in two ways:

Directly in the Formula Field's characters (3900).
In the overall size of the Formula after other included Formula Fields are factored in (5000) bytes.

2. The latter of those problems can result from the formula (code) of other formulas being inserted where those other formula fields are included. For example:

Field A says "Total_Amount * .9"
Field B says "IF (Field_A__c = 0)..."
Then behind the scenes, B is expanded to say "IF ((Total_Amount * .9) = 0)..." because Formula_A's formula is put into Formula_B, not Formula_A's result

Resolution 
What to do if you run into either limit

1. The smaller character limit (3900) can be remedied by splitting the formula into 2 fields. Create another formula field and break out some part of the code into that one. Then call Formula_A within Formula_B. Each can have up to 3900 characters.

2. The trickier case is when a formula field that refers to other formula fields (that may in turn refer to even more formula fields) results in compounded code which exceeds the 5000 bytes limit. In any edition, the whole combination of formula can be scrutinized to see if there is anything that can be reduced or eliminated from the string of code. Any small part might have a ripple effect and significantly reduce the overall size.

3. In Enterprise (EE) or Unlimited Edition (UE) Workflow can be used to help out.

Here's how: 

1. Create a new hidden field (not visible on any Page Layout).
2. Create a new Workflow Rule for the object which triggers when record is Created or Edited and make the Criteria something that is always true, like Owner Name <not equals> NULL.
3. Make an Immediate Workflow Action which does a Field Update to the newly created (hidden) field. 
4. Click Use a formula to set new value.
5. For the formula, enter the name of the first Formula Field (Formula_A). Any time a record in this object is created or edited, Formula_A's results will be calculated and copied into this new. regular field. Then refer to this field instead of Formula_A within Formula_B.
Best Practice: For best results on multi-level nested Formula Field references, pick a spot near the middle of the chain of Formula Fields to split the overall code in half. This will reduce the size more quickly. Please see the Tipsfor reducing formula size

4. Apex code could also be used in (EE, UE) to trigger an update to a field on the record. This provides even more powerful and flexible options, including the capability to assign values based on procedural algorithms (e.g., a double-declining balance) and to reference values beyond the record/object that is being evaluated in a formula or workflow, similar to the VLOOKUP() function--that can be employed on a validation rule but not in a custom formula field.

Hope this will help you.
please mark it best answer if it helps.
Thanx

This was selected as the best answer
Mohan Raj 33Mohan Raj 33
@Rowallim Technology Thanks for the reply . I don't know to how write in this formula to two formula fields in one reference to another but I will try.
Mohan Raj 33Mohan Raj 33
@Rowallim Technology Now I have to be corrected to the size on the formula to able to store on that But I have an another problemin my formula So that's why I need your help here the code followingly
IF((MOD(DATEVALUE(Calculating_Date__c)-DATE(1996,01,01), 7) < 5),
 (IF((NOW() > Calculating_Date__c),
 ((ROUND(12*(
MIN(5, 
))
-
(5*FLOOR((DATEVALUE(Calculating_Date__c)-DATE(1996,01,01))/7) +
MIN(5, 
    MOD(DATEVALUE(Calculating_Date__c )-DATE(1996,01,01), 7) +
    MIN(1, 24/12*(MOD(Calculating_Date__c -DATETIMEVALUE('1996-01-01 12:00:00'), 1)))
))
), 0))
+
IF( (21 > (VALUE(MID(RIGHT((TEXT(NOW() + 0.2291)),9),0,2)))) || (9 < (VALUE(MID(RIGHT((TEXT(  NOW() + 0.2291)),9),0,2)))) , 
 (VALUE(MID(RIGHT((TEXT(NOW() + 0.2291)),9),0,2)) - 9),0 )),
((ROUND(12*(
MIN(5, 
))
-
(5*FLOOR((DATEVALUE(Calculating_Date__c )-DATE(1996,01,01))/7) +
MIN(5, 
    MOD(DATEVALUE(Calculating_Date__c )-DATE(1996,01,01), 7) +
    MIN(1, 24/12*(MOD(Calculating_Date__c -DATETIMEVALUE('1996-01-01 12:00:00'), 1)))
))
), 0))
-
IF( (21 > (VALUE(MID(RIGHT((TEXT(NOW() + 0.2291)),9),0,2)))) || (9 < (VALUE(MID(RIGHT((TEXT(NOW() + 0.2291)),9),0,2)))) , 
 (VALUE(MID(RIGHT((TEXT(NOW() + 0.2291)),9),0,2)) - 9), 0)))),
IF((NOW() >  Calculating_Date__c ),
(((
) / 7 -
+
(VALUE(MID(RIGHT((TEXT(NOW() + 0.2291)),9),0,2)) - 9)),
((
) / 7 -
-
(VALUE(MID(RIGHT((TEXT(  NOW() + 0.2291)),9),0,2)) - 9)))
here It's provide the wrong answer in the value to taking in the Calculating Date to the NOW()  here I show the example to be provide the understand clearly, To select the Calculating Date is 10/17/2016 4.27PM and the value of NOW() is 10/18/2016 4.28 PM then the output comes by the formula is 19 hours but in practically the calculating Date is to be started to be a time to measured from the given input time so here the actual time is only 12 hours only .
Here the problem means if selected to the any date to the NOW() value it's to be only added the value of the current hour(NOW() values hour only) it's doesn't start to calculate the hour from the Calculating Date time it's considered thus value in 12 hours constant.So I don't know to how change the value and to be calculated from the Calculating Date given values time.
So that's why I am confusing here So please help me to solve this issue in here .For answer's thanks in advance.  Thanks Mohan