function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Christine McKay 5Christine McKay 5 

Cross Object workflow trigger question

Hi All, 

I have a custom object "Transactions" with a custom field name "Funded". The workflow action I'm looking to create would trigger an email to be sent to the borrower. The email is located on the standard "Contact" object page layout. Because the Email field is not listed on the Custom "Transactions" object, it's not giving me the option to pull the email from the Contact page and send. I'm not very familiar with Apex and am trying to write it out now but any help or suggestions are appreciated. I'm thinking my only option would be to insert the Email field on the Transaction page layout or add the custom Funded field to the contact page layout, if a cross object workflow is not possible.

Thanks so much!! 
Aniket Malvankar 10Aniket Malvankar 10
Dear Christine,

WorkFlow can be implemented on Custom object as well.
Please check on setup-->workflow.

Thanks
Aniket
Hi Aniket, 

Thanks so much for responding. To clarify, the workflow I am looking to create would trigger when a field on the custom object (Transactions) is populated with a date and would send an email to the email address that is only listed on the standard object (Contact).

To simplify, I need to be able to send an email to my borrower(s) on the anniversary date of their loan funding. The funding date is located on the transactions object and the email address is listed on the contact object. The workflow will not allow me to pull the email from the contact object to send the anniversary email. I hope this makes sense. 
Aniket Malvankar 10Aniket Malvankar 10
Dear Christine,

No need for Apex, you can check this.

Try this:

1. Create a custom field of type "Email" on the object you want to create the rule for.
2. Create a field update action which uses a formula to span across relationships to get to the email value. For example, you can get the opportunity creator email address from the opportunity product by using the formula "Opportunity.CreatedBy.Email"
3. Create the email alert to the new email field.
4. Create the workflow rule and add both the field update action and the email alert action.

Since workflow executed field updates first before executing email alerts, the email should go to the parent's creator's email address.

Thanks
Aniket
Lalit Mistry 21Lalit Mistry 21
Hi Christine,

You guessed it right.
You'll need a separate email field on transaction object (not necessary to put it on layout though).
Create a workflow field update to populate the email field on transaction record with email on contact (assuming contact is parent of transaction object).
Workflow email alert then should be able to send an email to new email field created on transaction.
Perfect! Thanks so much for both of your help! I'm going to work on that now! 

Have a great day!