function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
NevDevNevDev 

How can I make sure that fields are populated before a case is closed

I have being trying now for a while for a solution to a problem I am facing on the cases object but I am unable to find any resolution. I am simply trying to make multiple fields on the cas object mandatory before a case can be closed, not when a case is saved as there are multiple steps involved. 

Does anyone have any solution to this? 
Lalit Mistry 21Lalit Mistry 21
Hi Nevin,

A simple validation rule like below should help you.
IF( AND(OR(ISPICKVAL(Status, 'Closed')), OR(ISBLANK( AccountId ), ISBLANK( TEXT(Origin) ))), true, false).

If you have more than one closed case status, then include all of them in first OR condition and all your mandatory field goes in second OR condition.
Hope this helps
NevDevNevDev
Hi Lailit,

What seems to be happening is I am always redirected to the Case Close page. Is there anyway that the validation triggers on the actual case page layout and not the case close page layout?

Navandeep_Kaur23Navandeep_Kaur23
To accomplish above requirement we will have to use workflow rule instead of validation rule. The rule evaluation criteria would be 'created, and any time it’s edited to subsequently meet criteria'.

There will be 2 workflow field update actions:

1. For status, which change the status from open to Close.
2. For Record Type, which change the record type to close case record type.You can put conditions for all the required fields here .

Hope this helps .

Please mark this as best answer if it helps you anyway.

NevDevNevDev
Hi Navandeep,

I want this validation to trigger on the case record type, so when a user tries to close the case they see the error message on the case page layout and not the close case page layout.