function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Richard PenwellRichard Penwell 

I want to disable chatter but need global search enabled, whilst using salesforce classic

We are using Salesforce Classic and don't want to move to lightening experience at this point in time. How can we disable chatter (for some profiles), but need the global search enabled for all profiles.  These two functions would seem to be completely un-related.  As I understand it, by default disabling chatter disables global search when using Salesforce Classic.  Is there are simple work-around to 'disable chatter' without taking the global search function away?
NagendraNagendra (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Richard,

The possible way of achieving the above requirement is by switching to lightning experience.The idea keeping global search active without enabling chatter has been delivered in lightning winter16.Global Search and Chatter have been surgically separated so you now can enable one or the other, or both.

For more information check here: Please mark this as solved if the information helps.

Regards,
Nagendra.
Richard PenwellRichard Penwell
Hi Nagrenda,

Thanks for your response.  As indicated in my question I was hoping to be able to do this without switching to lightening experience, perhaps some work-around.  I'm suspecting that moving to lightening experience may take some time for us, testing / providing training in a Sandbox environment in order to ensure that current user experience isn't compromised (particular so as we use Person Accounts).   ideally I would like to disable Chatter in the short term (with minimum hassle), and was a bit surprised to find that when I tried to do so the global search (which would seem to be un-related) also became disabled.

Regards,
Richard.