function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ian Wright 3Ian Wright 3 

Create a case comment when another object field is not Null

Hi,

I'm new to Apex and am looking to create an auto-generated approval note on the case attached to the custom object Event_Resolution__c.  Below is what I have and I keep getting line 5, loop variable must be of Type Question.  I assume it means it thinks Case is not defined or related to the event resolution.  The case is entered in a lookup field case__c but it says that variable doesn't exist.  

Any help on how to make this possible?  Basically if anyone on the event resolutions team approves a credit or point value, I want a case comment to automatically populate on the case.
User-added image
Best Answer chosen by Ian Wright 3
Ravi Dutt SharmaRavi Dutt Sharma
Hi Ian,

I have updated the code to check condition for Question record type. I am hoping that Question record type is present on Event Resolution object. Let me know if it is otherwise. Thanks.

New utility class that you need to create first:

public class ObjectUtil {

public static String getObjectRecordTypeId(SObjectType sObjectType, String recordTypeName){
        //Generate a map of tokens for all the Record Types for the desired object
        Map recordTypeInfo = sObjectType.getDescribe().getRecordTypeInfosByName();

if(!recordTypeInfo.containsKey(recordTypeName))
            throw new RecordTypeException('Record type "'+ recordTypeName +'" does not exist.');

//Retrieve the record type id by name
        return recordTypeInfo.get(recordTypeName).getRecordTypeId();
    }

public class RecordTypeException extends Exception{}
}

Updated trigger code that makes use of this utility class:

trigger AutoApprovals on Event_Resolution__c (after insert){

List<CaseComment> newComment = new List<CaseComment>();

// Get record type id for record type named Question present on Event_Resolution__c object
	String questionRecordTypeId = ObjectUtil.getObjectRecordTypeId(Event_Resolution__c, Question);

for(Event_Resolution__c eventRes: Trigger.new){
		// Added additional check for record type
        if(eventRes.Credits_Approved__c != null && eventRes.RecordTypeId.equals(questionRecordTypeId)){
            CaseComment caseComm = new CaseComment();
            caseComm.ParentId = eventRes.Case__c;
            caseComm.CommentBody = 'QRF agent approved ' + '$' + eventRes.Credits_Approved__c;
            newComment.add(caseComm);
        }
		/ Added additional check for record type
        if(eventRes.Points_Approved__c != null && eventRes.RecordTypeId.equals(questionRecordTypeId)){
            caseComm.CommentBody = 'QRF agent approved ' + eventRes.Points_Approved__c + 'Point/s';
    }

Database.insert(newComment, false);
	}
}

All Answers

Hi Ian,

Your trigger should be on below lines. I have given the sample code, you can extend it further easily. Let me know if you face any issues. Thanks.

if(eventRes.Credits_Approved__c != null){
		}
	}

}

Ian Wright 3Ian Wright 3
Hey Ravi,

This helps a bunch thank you.  After extending the code to include everything I needed I now get the error that "Compile Error: Invalid type: Event_Resolution__c.RecordType.Question at line 5 column 9" where if I just leave it as Event_Resolution__c it says that the loop must be of type Question.  

I need to make sure the trigger is specific to the record type Question and not just the overall object Event Resolution.  Any idea what I'm missing?  I can probably just have it be for all records on the object but would prefer it be specific to the record type for more accurate usage by employees.  

if(eventRes.Credits_Approved__c != null){
            caseComm.CommentBody = 'QRF agent approved ' + '$' + eventRes.Credits_Approved__c;
        }
        if(eventRes.Points_Approved__c != null){
            caseComm.CommentBody = 'QRF agent approved ' + eventRes.Points_Approved__c + 'Point/s';
    }

}
}

Hi Ian,

I have updated the code to check condition for Question record type. I am hoping that Question record type is present on Event Resolution object. Let me know if it is otherwise. Thanks.

New utility class that you need to create first:

public class ObjectUtil {

public static String getObjectRecordTypeId(SObjectType sObjectType, String recordTypeName){
        //Generate a map of tokens for all the Record Types for the desired object
        Map recordTypeInfo = sObjectType.getDescribe().getRecordTypeInfosByName();

if(!recordTypeInfo.containsKey(recordTypeName))
            throw new RecordTypeException('Record type "'+ recordTypeName +'" does not exist.');

//Retrieve the record type id by name
        return recordTypeInfo.get(recordTypeName).getRecordTypeId();
    }

public class RecordTypeException extends Exception{}
}

Updated trigger code that makes use of this utility class:

// Get record type id for record type named Question present on Event_Resolution__c object
	String questionRecordTypeId = ObjectUtil.getObjectRecordTypeId(Event_Resolution__c, Question);

// Added additional check for record type
        if(eventRes.Credits_Approved__c != null && eventRes.RecordTypeId.equals(questionRecordTypeId)){
        }
		/ Added additional check for record type
        if(eventRes.Points_Approved__c != null && eventRes.RecordTypeId.equals(questionRecordTypeId)){
    }

}
}

This was selected as the best answer
Ian Wright 3Ian Wright 3
Thank you so much Ravi!  This helps a bunch.  I haven't finished researching Apex Classes so I'll have to learn more about those.